Out running by 4:50 a.m to be done before Mik'L had to leave for a meeting. Ran two loops on my DC/ Bloomington Hills course. Hit the first loop feeling pretty smooth and fresh. But by the last mile of that loop I was kind of breaking down and wondering how I'd do another lap at all... faster was almost out of the question. Hit the first 10.15 in 1:11:15 or a 7:01 avg. Stopped at the house and dropped off my ear warmers (it was pretty nice this morning not too cold at all). Grabbed a GU and a drink then headed back around.
As I started the second lap I wanted to just run it faster than the first lap but didn't have any real time goals. Ended up hitting the second lap with a 5:52 avg. 59:22 for the 10.15 mile loop.
1. 6:30- From my house out to River Road and headed North to about the crest of the hill. Got out of the gates slower but was still drinking and not really committed yet to the workout.
2. 6:00- Down River Road to the river bridge. This should have been my fastest mile. It's the best downhill on the whole loop. But I still couldn't get going. As I turned off River road onto the trail I looked at the watch and it was 13:00 for the first 2.1ish. I wasn't doing that great.
3. 5:53-From the bridge and onto the trail headed to the DC.
4. 5:45- Down the River trail and hit mile 4 just before coming to the new park at the DC.
5. 5:53- Across both rivers and up the hill onto the trail headed for B-hills. At mile 5 I looked at the watch and realized that at 29:55 or so I was still technically alive to break 60 min's for the loop... dang I had to keep grinding.
6 5:45- From the end of the trail into B-hills. My GU had finally started to Rocktane me and this was a pretty solid time for a mile climbing up and around B-hills.
7. 5:43- Hitting my stride now as I work through the hardest parts of the loop.
8. 5:46- Maybe the hardest mile. Just past the golf course up several little hills back through the boro of B-hills.
9. 5:35- Down a small hill and across River road the headed over to the park. Another solid mile but I'm starting to feel it falling apart.
10. 5:44- Start this mile right around the elementary school headed back for the barn. Starting to let out a few vocal grunts and a few of my neighbors might have seen the real Superfly.
.15 @ 5:47 pace- Not hard kick to the finish. During the mile from the park back home I did the math and realized I was way under 6 min pace and therefore happy with the days work.
Solid 20 mile run in the bank. My first real workout since STG marathon. I needed a good long run before next weeks Grand Canyon run. The tempo was just something nice at the end to help the miles go by. Happy with the results. Now we're off to Vegas for a couple days of work... well Mik'L has to work I have to watch our wild animal.