50 MILE PR!! 2:48:50!
3:15 PM - After doing homework this morning i had to go observe at my brothers high school for a few periods. Zipped home and got changed and was anxious to head out on the roads with my new tires!! Was unsure of the weather at the start of the day. It was still rainy, foggy and mid 40s when I went to observe at 1 today. But by the time I got out it was 60 and sunny! You really couldnt ask for a better day!
Hopped on the bike and followed a somewhat normal route down Jockey St into Charlton, and then east into Ballston, down into Burnt Hills - Ballston Lake, Scotia, and back. I was all over the place. Some things I saw today that were memorable and/or I am not soon to forget:
1. 3 dogs tried to kill me before mile 5. Fortunately for me two were fenced in and one decided he/she was too old and fat to chase me as I sped past.
2. There were flocks of black birds in the trees making a horrifying screech (I think they might have been Starlings?). Reminded me of eerie Hitchcockesque "Birds". Made me go faster (around mile 14-15).
3. Rode past the YMCA where Harry (youngest brother) swims and look down and see I already have gone about as far as I normally go in a ride (22 miles). Contemplated jumping off and running in from the street to the gym and hopping on the treadmill and really freaking some old ladies out, but I figured a cyclist is crazy enough.
4. Got yelled at by a bunch of kids because they were riding their BMX bikes on the wrong side of the street mind you without helmets and they thought it would make them look smarter when I took a left hand turn on a green light without signaling because I was shifting and going way too fast when they yelled : "Hey dude! That's illegal!" I love kids. ~mile 30
5. Nice little lady was out gardening. I waved. She waved back. We shared a moment and for a split second the earth stood still. (Mile 32)
6. Went past a real smelly farm. It smelled of cows, but not the sweet smell of manure, the nasty smelling kind! (Mile 35)
7. Sign of the time: Saw first road sign by a school that said "WARNING This is a text free zone - $150 fine". Dang! ( I put my super duper text master machine away )
8. Stopped by the Charlton General Store for refuel because I drained both of my 24 oz. bottles and didn't want to experience the "Bonk" factor. The lady was real nice, so I left her two dollars and told her to have a very nice day. Jokes on her though. It wasn't a two dollar tip, but she accidentally charged me 1.49 for a Gatorade that I read on the sign said 2.10. Didn't want her getting in trouble though at the end of the night. Still left her a tip though. :) (Mile 37)
9. Cute little girl that reminded me of Baby Jane. I can't wait until I'm officially her Uncle Benn! (Mile 40)
10. Goats! (Mile 52) Not really memorable but I wanted to round out the number of cool things at ten.
Total Distance: 55.2 miles Total Time: 3:10:08 Average Speed: 17.4 mph!