Use it or Lose it

May 04, 2024

Recent EntriesHomeJoin Fast Running Blog Community!PredictorHealthy RecipesCookieLegs's RacesFind BlogsMileage BoardTop Ten Excuses for Missing a RunTop Ten Training MistakesDiscussion ForumRace Reports Send A Private MessageWeek ViewMonth ViewYear View
JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec
15% off for Fast Running Blog members at St. George Running Center!

Salt Lake City,UT,USA

Dec 29, 2009

Female

Goal Type:

Other

Running Accomplishments:

I was a much better runner in my 20's and 30's.  When I was 52 I had a 28.5 5K and a 58.5 10K, and I would like to surpass those times.

Long-Term Running Goals:

Run a 1/2 marathon.  I would actually love to run a full marathon, but am not sure if my body would break down with injuries training for one.  Update fall 2010: still no 1/2 marathon, but I did run all the way up city creek and back home (14 miles)  - absolutely gorgeous!!

Personal:

My name is Adele Kimbrough - I'm 58 and have been running (off and on) since I was 16.  My body is not well designed for speed, and I'm a bit arthritic, but I'm having fun trying to figure out just how fast I can be.  And this blog helps! 

2011 Deseret News 10K Finish Line.
Dang - missed my goal by 4 seconds!

Favorite Blogs:

Click to donate
to Ukraine's Armed Forces
Miles:This week: 0.00 Month: 0.00 Year: 0.00
Slow milesFast milesTotal Distance

5.5 miles, mostly at 5.5 mph & 1.5%.  Rushed through some tretching afterwards.  Feel like my whole running program has become derailed the last couple weeks.  I think I should incorporate some speedwork or hills into my next run; I always dread those workouts, but feel so good afterwards!   Yea - no fighting raccoons last night!

Weight: 0.00
Comments
From Carolyn in Colorado on Tue, May 11, 2010 at 16:58:21 from 198.241.174.15

I think the best way to start speedwork is just to do a fartlek run, where you just pick up the speed for a short distance whenever you feel like it. For example, you might decide to run fast to the next lamp post or tree or something like that.

Another workout that I like, but haven't been doing on my current plan, is really short hill sprints. You run as fast as you can manage up a steep hill for a very short distance, like for 10 seconds, then walk back down and repeat several times. Start with just 1 or 2 repeats and work up to 10.

Do you usually fight raccoons? I thought they were pretty skittish and stayed away from humans.

From CookieLegs on Wed, May 12, 2010 at 09:40:45 from 71.36.68.195

Hi Carolyn, Thanks for the suggestions - I like doing fartleks outside, and usually do some type of hills on my TM, but haven't for a few weeks.

I wasn't fighting raccoons; rather the raccoons were fighting each other near my bedroom window. They sounded like some unearthly creatures being tortured!

From Metcalf Running on Wed, May 12, 2010 at 10:03:39 from 207.225.192.66

Speed work is always difficult, but it seems to bring so many benefits when done correctly. Good luck getting some in!

From Tracy on Wed, May 12, 2010 at 10:11:20 from 209.175.177.37

Since you do a lot of treadmill running, you might try doing your fartleks on the treadmill every once in a while. Warm up, and then speed up the machine for a length of time (for instance, increase the mph by 1.0-2.0 for 2 minutes). Then go back to your base speed and try increasing it again at regular intervals.

Doing tempo or speed work on the treadmill is one of the only ways I can tolerate it for a length of time.

From CookieLegs on Thu, May 13, 2010 at 14:43:00 from 155.101.152.105

Thanks Metcalf, Tracy & Carolyn. You guys are great for encouraging me!! :)

Add Your Comment.
  • Keep it family-safe. No vulgar or profane language. To discourage anonymous comments of cowardly nature, your IP address will be logged and posted next to your comment.
  • Do not respond to another person's comment out of context. If he made the original comment on another page/blog entry, go to that entry and respond there.
  • If all you want to do is contact the blogger and your comment is not connected with this entry and has no relevance to others, send a private message instead.
Only registered users with public blogs are allowed to post comments. Log in with your username and password or create an account and set up a blog.
Debt Reduction Calculator
Featured Announcements
Lone Faithfuls
(need a comment):
Recent Comments: