track fan

May 02, 2024

Recent EntriesHomeJoin Fast Running Blog Community!PredictorHealthy RecipesBonnie's RacesFind BlogsMileage BoardTop Ten Excuses for Missing a RunTop Ten Training MistakesDiscussion ForumRace Reports Send A Private MessageWeek ViewMonth ViewYear View
JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec
15% off for Fast Running Blog members at St. George Running Center!

Tucson,AZ,USA

Aug 30, 2007

Female

Goal Type:

Age Division Winner

Running Accomplishments:

PR's

5K: 21:26 (2005)

4 mile: 28:10 (2005)

10K: 43:33 (2010)

10 mile: 1:13:35 (2009) (1:12:15 split in 1/2 marathon, 2011)

1/2 marathon: 1:34:31 (2011)

marathon: 3:19:15 (2013)

Short-Term Running Goals:

3:20 marathon - Eugene Marathon, April 28, 2013 (can I say I really want a sub 3:20? but I will be happy with 3:20-3:23) -- whoohoo!

Some good intermediate races 15K - 1/2 marathon, to gauge my fitness level (done this, hit a 1:34:35 1/2 marathon in March 2013, on a hilly course)

Going after my 10 mile PR in Fall 2013

Maybe some good 10K races after the infernal Arizona summer is over! 

Long-Term Running Goals:

I want to be one of those runners who is still running in their 80s (or 90s?).  You know the ones, who look all grisley and fit?  That is what I would like!  Until then, I just want to work hard and be as fast as I can, for as long as I can.

Personal:

50 year old, trying to defy gravity and time

Used to be faculty at the University of Arizona (biostatistics).  Currently manager of the statistics and data management group for companion diagnostics (biomarkers) at Ventana Medical Systems, Inc. (Roche diagnostics).  We evaluate protein biomarkers that can be used to direct drug therapy that would be most effective based on individual characteristics (personalized medicine).

Favorite Blogs:

Click to donate
to Ukraine's Armed Forces
Miles:This week: 0.00 Month: 0.00 Year: 0.00
Easy MilesThreshold MilesMarathon Pace MilesTrack speed mileageHill mileageTotal

1:48:04 (56:26/51:38).   76F and raining -- it was so nice!  Humid, but so much cooler than I am used to these days.  Second long run in as many weeks where I was soaked most of the run.  I don't mind, summer rains are pretty nice.  Ran with Dean for about 2.5 miles - he hasn't been running the past couple days and he took off, usually we run really really slowly the first mile or so, but he was just antsy I guess.  I was glad I got to slow down some after he turned to go back.  I ran from the hotel to the Washington Memorial, then to the Lincoln Memorial, and then I kept going past The Watergate and turned towards Georgetown.  I wanted to run on the C&O canal, but since it was pouring I thought it might be pretty muddy, so instead I opted for the Capitol Cresent trail (bike trail) to Fletchers Landing (got water here) and then back.  I am estimating it was between 12 and 13 miles ... Felt pretty darn good today.  My back only hurt for about 2 hours early in the morning ... once I stretched and started walking around it felt much better.

This conference (The American Statistical Association - Joint Statistical Meetings) is the largest of the stats meetings - this year we have about 6000 people preregistered from all over the world.  It is the one time to see all of your friends from school and previous jobs!  In the past I have spent the whole 4/5 days going to talks and taking short courses ... but now I am missing many of the talks because I am on two committees and we have meetings all the time.  Tonight is the very exciting "ASA Biometrics Section Executive Committee Meeting (closed)"  - I know you wish you could come, but it is a closed meeting (because we talk about very exciting things --- NOT). Tommorrow I have the "ASA Council of Chapters Meeting (part closed/part open)" - all day!!  I am hoping to at least get to see the keynote speaker on Tuesday and some talks that my friends are giving! 

Happy rest of the weekend bloggers!

Comments
From allie on Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 14:47:39 from 208.110.151.113

sounds like a nice run in the summer rain---with some sightseeing included! glad your back is feeling better.

i am very curious---what is it that you do with statistics? i just finished taking a business stats course and i think it was one of the most useful classes i have ever taken. and really, i mean that! :)

From Bonnie on Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 14:57:43 from 12.238.61.2

That is very cool Allie! It sounds like you had a good instructor.

I am a biostatistician, often I consult with other scientists and apply statistical methodology to their problems. These days I primarily work with cancer biologists and help analyze high dimensional genomic data (lots of rows of data, not many people). Much of my work for the past few years has been in colon cancer research. But, as an academic statistician I also develop new statistical methodology (mostly what is being presented at the conference I am at right now). The methodology stuff is usually based on the work that I do with other scientists, but more specific to theory and mathematics (meaning the scientists really don't want to know about this part - they just want us to make sense of their data and get their papers published as quickly as possible ;-) ).

I also teach, but primarily phd students in statistics/biostatsitics.

From Snoqualmie on Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 16:00:27 from 67.171.56.164

You're in DC! What a traveler you are these days. Running among the monuments sounds very fun. I will most likely do that someday if I ever get around to visiting my brother who lives out there.

From Carolyn in Colorado on Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 21:11:45 from 24.8.167.243

Sounds like a very nice scenic run. I'm glad you were able to get out and about in the rain. And nice that the back is feeling a little better.

It sounds like you've got a busy week. Have fun!

From argentinerocket on Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 22:55:11 from 138.88.129.203

What is this humidity, monuments, and canals you're speaking of? Sounds familiar.... Glad you're enjoying my end of the woods, hope we get to run together before you leave, or at least meet!

Your work sounds sooooo exciting - albeit very geeky :)

From auntieem on Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 17:06:11 from 67.182.145.8

Nice run! Brought some memories back for me of DC area. I used to go there a lot in summer on business! Your conference sounds stimulating, but I hope you get to enjoy more runs as well.

From Kelli on Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 17:50:33 from 71.219.100.174

Your job went right over my simple-minded head! WOW.

Nice run today, and i am glad you get to run in cooler temperatures for a bit. I worry about the runners in AZ, it is so HOT!

Enjoy your time there!

Add Your Comment.
  • Keep it family-safe. No vulgar or profane language. To discourage anonymous comments of cowardly nature, your IP address will be logged and posted next to your comment.
  • Do not respond to another person's comment out of context. If he made the original comment on another page/blog entry, go to that entry and respond there.
  • If all you want to do is contact the blogger and your comment is not connected with this entry and has no relevance to others, send a private message instead.
Only registered users with public blogs are allowed to post comments. Log in with your username and password or create an account and set up a blog.
Debt Reduction Calculator
Featured Announcements
Lone Faithfuls
(need a comment):
Recent Comments: