Fast Running Blog
May 23, 2024, 03:49:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting back in shape  (Read 3563 times)
breanna cobler
Lurker

« on: June 05, 2008, 09:44:06 am »

Ok my leg is finally to the point that i can run. It has been 10 weeks since the compression fracture in my femur. Now i'm excited to be able to run again but I don't want to overdo it and get hurt again so I was just wondering what some people's opinions were of how fast I can build up. I ran 25 miles last week and was going to only go 30 this week but my legs have felt really good so i'm more on track for 35-40. I know there are different things like the 10% rule but I'd like to be increasing at least 5 miles a week or more. What are you guys' thoughts?
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 01:44:13 pm »

Don't run so much!  You've got all summer.  Build back into it slowly.
James Barnes
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 01:48:54 pm »

I agree with Coach Holt.  You have all summer to come back, so take it slow and ease into it.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 01:52:48 pm »

Take it one day at a time. Do not set goals in stone, just go by feel. Err on the side of caution on the pace.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 03:17:38 pm »

Yup, yup, listen to Coach Holt.  With something as serious as a femur injury, don't rush back.  Patience is required, frustrating as it may be.  Much better to come back slowly than to risk injury.  If you were just coming back from time off not due to injury it may be different, but you don't want to hurt yourself again just coming back from injury.  If you have extra energy to burn, do some non-impact cross training like swimming or biking.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 03:20:17 pm by Jonathan Allen » Logged
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 04:38:08 pm »

I agree with all these fine gentalmen!  If you have the urge to do more running than your leg can handle I would do somesort of crosstraining before you run.  When I was coming back from injury last summer I would go on a bike ride before my run.  Then I would feel like I had ran alot longer and harder than I actually had.
breanna cobler
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 08:42:55 pm »

Ok I'll try to build slowly. I am just so excited to be able to run. Most of my runs I start out planning for 3 or 4 but I end up feeling so I good I don't want to stop so I keep going.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 04:31:31 pm »

Too much to soon I believe would cause fatigue from overtraining, but if your patience you'll be exactly where you want to be at a great fitness level.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: