Fast Running Blog
June 16, 2024, 01:09:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Payson Canyon  (Read 3017 times)
Marion McClellan
Vocal Lurker

« on: June 11, 2008, 10:49:00 am »

Has anyone had any experience running Payson Canyon?  I LOVE the canyon and the down hill Smiley but it seems a little dangerous, even in a car.  It's right up the road from me, and I would love to utilize it, if I can be sure to live through the run.  For those of you unfamiliar to Payson Canyon, it is narrow, no shoulders and moderate traffic, lots of trailers, etc.

Never Give Up!!! Never SURRENDER!!!!
Kim Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 11:25:52 am »

Lots of Southern Utah County folks use Payson Canyon as good training for SG.  I, too, think it is quite a dangerous stretch.  I'm sure there will be plenty of people running it soon.  If I hear of official groups going, or if Tom and I are going sometime, I'll be sure to let you know about it.  I'm sure some of the ones who have ran it before will also give some comments.  I'm sure it's some great down  hill training! 
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 12:36:58 pm »

Last year I trained on Payson Canyon, both for downhill only training (8-11 miles downhill) and for up and down training.  I think the up and down training is very useful for training for uphill stretches in races (like Veyo to Dameron Valley in St. George marathon).  I have run up and down this year.  Payson is also great for uphill or downhill tempo runs.  If you start at Petiteneet (sp?) and go up the canyon it is about 5.4 miles to a parking lot/bathroom on your left.  I like going up to that point because it is a gradual uphill for about 4 miles then the last 1.4 are steeper and more challenging.
As far as safety goes, although there are lots of cars at times, there are also times when the road is yours.  I wouldn't wear an ipod in the canyon just to be safe.  I would also carry some spray and/or run with a partner, as there are WILD dogs (ok just dogs, but I am scared of dogs) who are occasionally out.  Also make sure you ease into downhill training, and pay attention to your body, because it will tear you up (best case) or injure you (worse case). 
Marion McClellan
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 03:39:09 pm »

Good to know.  That loop from Peteetneet to "Beer Can Flats" is a very nice loop.  We'll have to run it next saturday.  Thanks so much for your insight!  I know another guy who walks it every morning from the scout camp up to payson Lakes.  I need to ask him what he does to keep from being slpatted Smiley  Thanks for the ipod heads up.  Beign all ears is probably a very good idea.

Never Give Up!!! Never SURRENDER!!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: