Fast Running Blog
June 25, 2024, 11:26:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Del Sol Training, Prep, and What have you  (Read 14783 times)
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 05:30:01 pm »

As far as I know, all of the maps and elevation charts are absolutely perfect. Whoever made them must be very handsome.
And humble!

Kory, I did that leg last year (18).  It isn't a bad hill- kind of gradual up the whole way but not enough to kill all momentum.   Plus, you will do it in the dark so you can't see how far you have to go.  It was shorter than I thought it would be and I beat my predicted time by a minute or two.  Just run hard and you will fly, and pass tons of teams!  It will be your first leg where you pass teams, and lots of the runners seem to think they need to run very slow up the hill.

I just looked at your legs and can't believe your 3rd leg- it is incredibly easy!  Last year it was a lot longer and had a large uphill, killer downhill, then rolling hills.  Now leg 30 is the absolute easiest Ragnar leg I have ever seen!  By far!  You should be able to finish it in under 11 minutes, easy!

Your first leg is pretty fun- the highway part wasn't my favorite, but then you turn off and get some good uphills and downhills, finishing with a nice down.  Enjoy it.
James Barnes
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 07:33:24 pm »

I have three vests and two headlamps I will bring.  I will keep one of each for myself and the others are extras. 

Jon and Paul, You know you will miss being with us!
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 09:20:38 am »

As far as I know, all of the maps and elevation charts are absolutely perfect. Whoever made them must be very handsome.
And humble!

Kory, I did that leg last year (18).  It isn't a bad hill- kind of gradual up the whole way but not enough to kill all momentum.   Plus, you will do it in the dark so you can't see how far you have to go.  It was shorter than I thought it would be and I beat my predicted time by a minute or two.  Just run hard and you will fly, and pass tons of teams!  It will be your first leg where you pass teams, and lots of the runners seem to think they need to run very slow up the hill.

I just looked at your legs and can't believe your 3rd leg- it is incredibly easy!  Last year it was a lot longer and had a large uphill, killer downhill, then rolling hills.  Now leg 30 is the absolute easiest Ragnar leg I have ever seen!  By far!  You should be able to finish it in under 11 minutes, easy!

Your first leg is pretty fun- the highway part wasn't my favorite, but then you turn off and get some good uphills and downhills, finishing with a nice down.  Enjoy it.

Thanks Jon that information and knowledge of the course helps.  I do train on hills once a week and I do okay.  These hills are a lot steeper but I don't go  blazing fast up them either.  Also that downhill will be fun, because I do a lot of downhill in my runs as well.  With your guys experience, will make us first timers feel relaxed and confident. Thanks again.
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 01:07:14 pm »

'nother question - although I am not running this year, I am lucky enough to be one of the drivers for the team.  I would like to know if the splits (and vans) have been assigned yet so that I can look at the legs I will be driving and be fully prepared.  Ted, can you answer this question?
James Winzenz

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2008, 01:10:23 pm »

Oooh, another question - is there any way to have some FRB banners/stickers for the vans printed?  This would look awesome, I think.  I am sure everyone recognizes VanGoGo, but I don't think anyone has seen my van.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 01:55:25 pm »

...don't know about FRB/St. Geo, but I can guarantee each van will sport 2x Marathon GIS magnets!
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2008, 08:59:03 pm »

Just skip the FRB and call them the geek mobiles ! 

Cry (You might tell I am just jealous I don't get to go).
Ted Leblow
Posting Member

"Don't give up...don't ever give up." - Jimmy V.

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 10:04:32 am »

Ok, I apologize for not getting more updates out. Work and life has gotten in the way. I will finalize plans and such this week and get more information out. We will finalize travel plans and accommodation's and make sure everyone is tracking on food, vests etc... It sounds like the vests are not an issue but there are other items I will finalize with everyone. As far as leg assignments go I have a few adjustments to make based off of more recent fitness data from races, injuries, etc... I will use Paul's awesome spreadsheet and get that taken care of as well. I feel bad as I have been injured and am probably going to be the slowest runner on the team. I guess I am willing to give up my spot if there is a faster runner ready to go but I think I can at least be ready to run 5:40 pace by then on the shorter legs. Again, I will get more information out this week for sure.

Thanks for everyones patience and understanding. This trip should be a blast.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 10:39:54 am »

Ted - make sure you update the spreadsheet with the most current leg distances. Leg 29, 30, and 31 changed last week.
jtshad

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 12:27:18 pm »

Ted, thanks for taking a lead on this and keeping it going.  Looking forward to the event and running with everyone.  Farm out things that others can do if needed (I could prepare a phone list, etc.) to take some of the burden off of just you.
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 02:07:25 pm »

I am reserving a room for one night -- the night of the 28th -- near the airport. It has two queen beds. I'm fine stuffing as many people in it as possible.
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 02:09:20 pm »

Also, my experience with Hood to Coast was that since we're a fast team, you have a very good chance of running two of your three legs in the dark.

However, I did no special training for H2C and did just fine. We all run in the dark all winter long so I wouldn't worry too much about the darkness issue.

Also, I will be bringing my headlight. It's a good one and we can pass it around. H2C required each runner run with a light in addition the reflective vest. So we should have at least two headlamps.
jtshad

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2008, 08:20:27 am »

I could also book a room on Feb. 28 and or Mar. 1 at a government rate in the Phoenix area (currently running about $130-160) that several of us could share.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2008, 11:42:52 am »

It would be very helpful to have two PDA's that can open Excel spreadsheets so we can upload Paul's magic spreadsheet on both and keep them in both vans so we can estimate arrival times at exchanges better.
Adam R Wende

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 11:53:51 am »

Ted (and everyone else for that matter), Thank you for the help and effort in advising and planning this. Also, when you get Paul's spreadsheet updated would you e-mail it out to the team? Thanks
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: