Fast Running Blog
May 28, 2024, 12:18:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Del Sol Training, Prep, and What have you  (Read 14321 times)
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« on: February 07, 2008, 10:40:23 am »

I've had some ideas bouncing around in my head about some training ideas and advice for first time relay runners or others who have ran them before but could use some tip's. So I'll post a few of my thoughts and others can share as well.

1. Practice doing tempo runs in the dark. At least one of your legs will be in the middle of the night and theres a little more to racing in the dark as opposed to just doing your daily miles in the morning before the sun comes up. Judging you pace is very hard; especially on an unknown route.
2. Study your route off of the race bible. Knowing what kinds of turns, streetlights, roundabouts, and whatever else you may have on your legs is very helpful- most importantly on you night leg.
3. We all know that everyone needs a reflective vest... but some are more comfortable to run in than others. Try to find one that fits you snug and isn't bouncing all around. I bought a new one that is just like straps around your body (very comfortable). www.amphipod.com   (xinglet)
4. Plan accordingly: Bring plenty of $$$ just in case so your not caught making others carry your burdens.
5. Most importantly let's be ready to have some fun. Last year was a blast racing with Google and hanging with other running freaks. So bring your "A" game of humor and we'll be good to go.

I'm not a expert by any means but I thought I'd share some of the things I learned last year in the two relay's I ran. I do have a few more things but this should be enough to get the ball rolling and maybe others will mention and cover it better than I could.

God Speed!
jtshad

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 10:48:16 am »

Clyde, thanks for the post and suggestions.  Most of these items I have already done/or are looking forward to doing.   I have done a look of hard early morning runs in the dark (looks like my leg will be at about the time of my normal early run...however this will be coming of off running hard at 9pm the previous night!).

A question...have you heard any more on the accommodations that Ted mentioned in the email? 

Other questions (as I am a newbie to this big of a relay):

1) What kind of "gear" did you bring (sleeping bag, pillow, etc.)
2) How did you guys do the food/water/etc.?
3) Did you guys have shadow runners for the night legs?

Really looking forward to the Relay (and the warm weather).
Superfly

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 10:55:12 am »

Jeff as far as me having hotel rooms... I don't. I know Ted mentioned I might but it didn't work out this year. So we'll have to get together on some and split it up. I know some guys are planning on staying at some of the bloggers houses in the PHX area. As far as during the race yes bring a sleeping bag and pillow and stuff like that to sleep at the major x-changes. But pack as lite as you can because room becomes an issue. Also bring your own food, fluid.... and that kind of thing.
No, we did not have shadow runners in the night. The course is marked with flashing cones and stuff to help you not take a wrong turn.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 11:06:31 am »

Running wise, I would suggest not just doing a night run, but doing 3 runs in a row as a practice.  About 2 weeks before the race, I would do a 5-6 mile run immediately after work (i.e. 5 pm).  Then I would do another run at around 11 pm.  I would wake up at 4 am Sat morning and do a third run.  I would try to make my runs similar to the race- for example, run hills on the third run if that is what you will run in the race.  The biggest thing this does is mentally prepare you for running at night and especially after having done 2 runs within the past 12 hours.  For me, the built up fatigue is a bigger issue than just running in the dark.

Jeff- I always bring a warm sleeping bag (it can get colder at night than you think) with sleeping pad- very handy to quickly throw on a lawn somewhere if you have 1-3 hours to sleep (that is the most sleep I ever got).  I brought plenty of clothes- it is important to change out of your sweaty clothes after your run, especially before sleep (if possible).  I would always change my shirt and socks at a minimum.  I bring a beanie, too.  Extra pair of shoes, sandles to let your feet air out.  Pillow or blanket can be nice to use in the vans while driving.

Food- I don't know what Ted was planning, but I always brought my own food in the past (or bought it in Phoenix).  I like granola bars, apples, gummi bears/licorice, etc.  We would often stop at subway after the first leg so everyone could buy dinner.  I would usually bring 3-32 oz gatorade, plus a water bottle (that your teammates can hand you mid-run for a quick drink).  They usually have water at major exchanges, but bottled water or thermos in the van to fill containers is nice.

No pacers/shadow runners allowed.  You can have someone pace you on a bike at night, but I'm guessing you guys won't have this.  The only time we did it is when we had Paul and Ben both injured- one drove the suburban, one biked.  All night.  But, they weren't running in the race and we were an ultra team so we only had 3 runners in the car rather than 6.

I agree with Clyde about the importance of learning your route as best you can.  Just ask Clyde about how many turns his 2nd leg had last year, if you want to know why.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 11:40:19 am »

I agree with Clyde about the importance of learning your route as best you can.  Just ask Clyde about how many turns his 2nd leg had last year, if you want to know why.

Ha ha. Fortunately, they have "fixed" Clyde's old leg for this year, so it is a completely different leg, with very few turns.

Other tips:
Be mentally ready for "surprises". Surprises such as the leg being short/long/rerouted. Sometimes the race directors are forced to make "day of" changes due to oversight, misplaced portapots, unexpected events, or various Acts of God. For instance, the Great River Relay took place just a few weeks after the Minneapolis bridge collapse...the course was supposed to go directly under that bridge. Obviously they had to scrap a substitute together. Anyway, be mentally prepared for anything. Always follow the signs.

Being extremely fit is the best training tip for these things. Running at night or doing doubles/triples are all fine and good, but if you are in killer half marathon or marathon shape, you will handle the race just fine.

Finally, at major exchanges use the "buddy system" while sleeping. Don't just "assume" that everyone will be ready at the time you are supposed to leave. Last year we were ready to roll out of Exch 30 (literally starting to pull out) when we realized we were missing two people (who were still sound asleep) because of assumptions and mis-communication/non-communication. As a result, we were late to Clyde's exchange, he got stuck in the porta-pot, and lost 12.3 seconds to Google due to stress and neural difficulties. It was a Bummer.
Adam R Wende

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 08:35:04 pm »

Thank you all for bringing these concerns to my attention. As a first timer I was VERY naive on what I was getting myself into. A few questions.
1.   Are the split assignments that Sasha sent out final? Is everyone running ready, are there changes?
2.   Do we each need to purchase a reflective vest? I just bought arm bands but I guess I’ll be calling Steve again? Scratch that I just e-mailed him anyway better safe than sorry but if someone wants to share the one I just ordered I’d be more than willing.
3.   Has anyone done a list of estimated times (time of day) for each of the exchanges?
4.   My adrenaline is pumping just thinking about this thing! I’m ready to roll…
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 09:41:08 pm »

I can't answer most of the questions, but I can answer the reflective vest.  You need 2 vests and 2 headlamps for the whole team.  So there is no need for you to go buy one just for this.  We usually ended up with 2 per van, which worked fine.  Just alternate.  Headlamps are more useful at 1 per person, so you can see during the night and in port o potties.  Don't forget to wear a vest if you are warming up, too.

Sasha and/or Ted should have a spreadsheet of estimated times for each exchange.  If not, I can send you one from last year and you guys can update it with names and paces for this year.
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 08:08:17 am »

So do we have enough vest then - or do I need to go and buy one?
jtshad

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 08:29:47 am »

I have a vest for van #1 that we can use.

As far as estimates on the times, you can get a gauge of your time by looking at the "holding time" document that Ragnar recently sent out or you can see it in the Race Bible.  It shows the approximate times of the "fastest" teams hitting the exchanges if they keep on their times.  Not quite as accurate as what I guess Ted/Sasha will put together on the spreadsheet.

Anyone know if ideas for lodging for the team are firming up yet?
Superfly

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 08:30:18 am »

Dave you can have my old one if you want it.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 09:23:39 am »

Paul- do you have your google RDS spreadsheet that you can give them?
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 10:07:07 am »

I gave Ted the spreadsheet.
stevehooper
Lurker

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 10:56:13 am »

Hey Guys - The Store can supply a couple reflective vests to pass around for Del Sol.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 03:33:18 pm »

I as well have a nike vest that I can bring. 

One of my relay legs (18) has a gradual ascent did any of you do a lot of uphill training for your uphill legs?  I imagine the adrenaline is going to flow right before our leg, and thats a good time to take care of any business that you have to. 

Also the elevation charts from the web site did any of you see any issues where they weren't quite correct?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 04:22:41 pm by Kory Wheatley » Logged
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 04:59:25 pm »

Also the elevation charts from the web site did any of you see any issues where they weren't quite correct?

As far as I know, all of the maps and elevation charts are absolutely perfect. Whoever made them must be very handsome.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: