Fast Running Blog
June 16, 2024, 03:56:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does running cause osteoporosis?  (Read 5102 times)
Lybi
Vocal Lurker

« on: March 05, 2008, 09:26:05 am »

My PT is trying to discourage me from running.  He says that running every day forces the body to start consuming itself, and especially the skeleton.  He said he just read an article about a 22 year-old running chica who had the skeletal structure of a 70 year-old with osteoporosis, but when she stopped running and started rowing competitively, her bones went back to normal.  It freaked me out a little since I am genetically at risk for osteoporosis anyway.  I know that your body needs calcium for muscle contraction and release.  I never thought it might get the calcium from your bones!   What I can't figure out is how someone like Sasha, who runs 20 miles a day, and doesn't eat any milk or cheese, well, how come he even HAS bones left if this is true?
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 09:47:00 am »

It would be nice if there was a clear-cut answer to this question, wouldn't it?  One one hand, there's several articles citing running's benefits in preventing osteoporosis online:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NHF/is_8_17/ai_86649751
http://www.brown.edu/Student_Services/Health_Services/Health_Education/general_health/wh_osteoporosis.htm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15277765

Then again, there's an article citing a study that found the opposite:
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/1035.htm

Isn't that true for just about everything out there that's supposed to be good/bad for you?

I personally choose to believe that moderate exercise helps improve bone density, *assuming* that your calcium intake is sufficient.  At risk women (my wife included) should be taking calcium supplements and get a DEXA (Bone Density) scan (which, coincidentally, is evidently one of the best ways to find your body-fat percentage as a point of interest) in conjunction with your doctor's recommendations.  If your at risk, you may want to consider adding some weight training to your routine....I believe virtually everyone agrees that strength training leads to increased Bone Mineral Density and helps prevent osteoporosis.

It's good that your PT made you aware of a potential problem, but extrapolating from one case that the entire population of runners is at risk for osteoporosis is absurd.  Since you're susceptible (family history), take the necessary precautions and preventative measures, get checked regularly, and take action if you find something happening.  I don't see how that equates to needing to quit running personally.

Just my two cents....
ktjo
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 03:56:33 pm »

Funny I had a PT tell me today that running would not define my legs. He also said without weight training I would not be able to run because I would not have the muscle mass I need.  I do a few weights but nothing like what he put me through today.  I thought that running was enough of a workout for the legs. So what is right?   I have talked to so many trainers since joining the gym and they all have there own stories and opinions on what you should be doing.
So my opinion on the osteoporosis!  It seems like each year the average of overweight people in the us goes up and up. Running is a great way to keep your weight down right! So when these people do these studies they list all the problems that come with being over weight and osteoporosis is in there as well as other conditions that are just as bad or worse.  I think you have to look at genetics as well with any questions like that.  I think if you get to checking things out on line no matter what it is you can find just as much possitive as you can bad.     
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 04:05:57 pm »

I agree with Dale. While there probably was, and always will be, "some guy I heard about" who ruined his knees, or bones, or whatever, that sure doesn't mean that is what will happen with everyone.

All the research I've read and professors I've talked to have stated that weight bearing impact exercise helps prevent osteoporosis. I seem to remember a study in which senior ladies who were at risk of osteoporosis were given an exercise program (which consisted of jumping from a small step to the ground a number of times a day). After a few weeks of this treatment their bone density increased significantly. If I can find it again I'll post it.

The basic consensus (at least as I've understood it) is that when you work out, you work out your bones as well as your muscles, and weight bearing exercise (such as running or gymnastics) will increase bone density more than low-impact exercise (such as swimming or eliptical machines).

Maybe your PT was trying to lower his "chicked" count by getting you off the roads...

Rambojr
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 04:22:06 pm »

I agree with everything that has been said, and I agree that some strength training is always good but you have to be careful and not over train its important to find a balance that works best for you.  Every doctor and every PT has their own opinion, so its always best to eat right and work with a Doctor that wants to help you reach your goals and as always listen to your body: )
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 04:44:31 pm »

Running ought to make your bones stronger unless you lack the proper nutrition to support it.
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 06:41:47 pm »

At my work every year they have a health fair where you can have your bone density measured. I've done this over the years since early in my running days when I was only doing 10-20 miles a week until more recently where 50-70 has become the norm. I've seen my bone density measurements increase pretty significantly as I've increased the mileage.  Anyway just my own 2 cents.
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 07:06:55 pm »

Running ought to make your bones stronger unless you lack the proper nutrition to support it.
Well said!
Dawson Hinton
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 09:16:50 pm »

Funny I had a PT tell me today that running would not define my legs. He also said without weight training I would not be able to run because I would not have the muscle mass I need.  I do a few weights but nothing like what he put me through today.  I thought that running was enough of a workout for the legs. So what is right?   I have talked to so many trainers since joining the gym and they all have there own stories and opinions on what you should be doing.

Back before I started losing weight(and before I could even jog on the treadmill for 2 minutes coincidentally), I would do weight training at the gym 3-4 times a week.  At least one of these days were devoted to the legs each week.  To make a long story short, I gained hardly any definition in my legs UNTIL I started to run.  I think that I am at the point now where my legs are as defined as they have ever been!  As far as not being able to run without weights, as my running has increased over the months, sadly, my weight training has decreased (seems there is not enough time in the day for both very often).  I am now running consistantly more than I ever have, and have been working to increase my weekly miles, so there is my two cents...
Lybi
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 07:22:37 am »

Thanks guys, I feel a lot better now.  Dale, thanks for finding all those articles!  I guess the challenge now is just to make sure I get enough calcium...and to find a running-friendly PT.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 10:29:15 am »

I do not drink milk or eat any milk products, but I do eat a lot of grains, which have just as much calcium as milk, and according to what I heard, the calcium in grains can be more easily absorbed than the calcium in milk. I am willing to believe that. In the last 13 years I've had very few days when I did not eat at least one bowl of uncooked rolled oats. Before that I often ate cooked oats for breakfast, and other grains for lunch or dinner. In the 23.4 years of running the closest I ever came to a bone injury was a moderate level pain in the heel bone in 1986 at the age of 13 probably caused by frequent tempo runs in spikes with a very thin heel on a hard rubber track. If I had to estimate my mileage from the pains and aches in the bones and muscles, I would not be able to tell you if I am running 50 or 120 a week. I think I would have if I were not getting enough calcium or some other important mineral.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: