Fast Running Blog
March 28, 2024, 04:23:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ice Baths  (Read 4923 times)
Tamy
Lurker

« on: September 17, 2009, 12:53:24 am »

My question is what method do you use to create your ice bath?  I've tried before and it takes more ice than I've had to make the water cold enough to feel good.  Is there a clever way to ice the legs without spending a lot of money or time preparing? Smiley
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 08:57:31 am »

It's hard to do ice baths at home given the limited ice.  I will often soak my legs in a nearby canal/river at the end of a run, if possible.  Or I will use my hose outside my house, though that is not ice cold.  For limited areas, ice dixie cups work well.  But for at-home ice baths, I don't have any great ideas.
Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 11:10:20 am »

I've used the Rubbermaid Storage Containers before.  It is kind of awkward to kneel down in, but the ice doesn't seem to melt as fast as it would in a bath tub.  Biggest problem I have which is probably the same problem most people face is having access to a lot of ice.  That was one great memory from running in college was the daily ice baths in whirlpool tubs.  If anybody is going to get into serious ice bathing I recommend the neoprene socks or booties.
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 11:15:09 am »

I've made extra ice cubes in dixie cups  and plastic bags, thrown them, all the ice my fridge has, and all my blue ice containers in the bath and I'm able to get it to 50 degrees.  It is tough, though, and takes some planning.
Tamy
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 10:03:52 am »

Thanks for the comments.  Now that's it's winter, I do have a chilly ocean I can soak in.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: