Fast Running Blog
April 27, 2024, 09:54:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ankle Pain (with Marathon Coming Up) - Shoes?  (Read 2704 times)
Andrew Odlaug
Lurker

« on: September 29, 2009, 03:56:28 pm »

So here's my situation. I'm running the Chicago Marathon on October 11th - about a week and a half from today. Training has gone well and I feel prepared to meet my goal of qualifying for Boston 2010.

I've been suffering from some right ankle pain the past couple weeks, which I've never experience before. As a result I just took five days of rest before going out on a 12 mile easy run yesterday. Should I be concerned having taken a 5 day break with the marathon approaching on Oct 11th? The ankle issue didn't start occuring until after I started running in a new pair of shoes about 3 weeks ago. They are the same Nike Vomera 4's I've always worn, just a new pair. Anyways, the ankle tends to get a little swollen (by the inner bone that juts out) and causes discomfort when I run. It usually is more painful post-run ... icing it for 20 mins has helped. For example after my 21 mile long run on 9/20, I was in some major pain, hobbling around, but the next day it had mostly subsided. Afterwards, the following Mon and Tues, 9/21 and 9/22, I went out for 8 mile easier runs and the pain returned and got worse. Although I was able to run the 8 miles on Tues at a 6:37/mile pace but was hurting pretty badly afterwards. So, I took 5 days off until yesterday, when I went for a 12 mile run in about 1:26. I started feeling the ankle about 1/2 way through. It's definitely bearable but I feel like it slows me down. Any thoughts? Also, how would you suggest approaching the next week and a half or so, in terms of training, mileage, etc? I want to give myself the best chance on race day.

My sister is a former distance runner, and her thoughts:
"Think you better go have the ankle looked at...if it's tendonitis it will get worse running. Get a prescription for a physical therapist for ultrasound and stim and to ice and take Arnica and stay off it. You should probably be tapering now anyway for the marathon. Maybe go see a sports med person after work who can take a look at it. Maybe even a cortisone shot will help you."

I would sincerely appreciate any advice could provide. Thanks!
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 11:04:47 pm »

My opinion is that the 5 days of rest won't hurt you. They might even help you for the marathon. Whether the running could cause the ankle problem to get worse, that's hard to say. It wouldn't hurt to get a doctor's opinion.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: