Fast Running Blog
April 23, 2024, 01:21:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: I can't post on blog  (Read 11538 times)
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 02:55:26 pm »

Yes, unfortunately 90% of PC users still use IE.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 04:02:51 pm »

Problem fixed. I forgot to pass a flag parameter to a function to tell it to not print a form tag, so we ended up with a form within a form. This is improper HTML, but Firefox handled it just fine, while MSIE lost its wits. Seems like MSIE suffers from what I call "exceptional mentality programming". Which boils down do "if you did not give me exactly what I expected, instead of doing my best to try to make some sense of it I throw an exception (a computer term for throwing in the towel)"

However, both Paul and Jon were wrong on their numbers. I sampled a period from 8:00 pm MST to 1:00 pm MST both today and the day before. Elimination of MSIE cut the comments down from 383 to 231. Jon's estimate would predict around 127, Paul's around 38.

When I realized that the problem happened only with MSIE I felt very tempted not to fix it for a couple of weeks :-) This gave me a great idea - once in a while have an MSIE-free day to encourage the bloggers to think out of the box. Install Firefox, or save the HTML and edit it so MSIE would not freak out, then post a comment using the edited HTML, learn something new. Or just enjoy a moment of silence, silence is a great teacher.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 04:36:55 pm »

Yeah, you're right. It's more like 50%. It looks like Firefox has gained a much bigger market share since the last time I checked. Here is a breakdown from my site's stats:

Internet Explorer   51.93%
Firefox             35.42%
Safari              8.36%
Chrome              3.24%
Opera                  0.73%

That is good news. When I build websites, I usually forget to check them in IE, and then am surprised when people have problems. And then am more surprised that they still use IE.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 05:34:14 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

That's where I took my data from.  66% IE, 23% FX.  I would propose that FX users are, on the whole, more computer and internet savy than IE, so it would not be outside the realm of possibility that they would be more active on the FRB.  Such as 2 of the top 3 forum posters (Paul and Sasha), versus 1 IE (me).
Carolyn Herlin
Lurker

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 09:33:57 am »

Thanks for fixing this, Sasha.

I think the IE vs. Firefox stats based on yesterday's blog comments might be skewed. I normally use IE, but switched to Firefox yesterday in order to post comments, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I have the option of using either one at home, but must use IE at work.
April
Lurker

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 01:42:29 pm »

Thank you for fixing this!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: