Fast Running Blog
June 10, 2024, 09:26:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Running shoes  (Read 10411 times)
Dawson Hinton
Lurker

« on: February 11, 2008, 10:05:46 pm »

Here is something I have been thinking about for the past few days:  Since starting to run back in Feb of 2007, I am currently on my 3rd and 4th pair of shoes.  Although I do not put in the crazy mileage that some of the bloggers on this site do, I am quite a bit bigger that probably almost all of you (I am currently 250 lbs).  The reason I bring that up is because I figure that my extra weight pounding on my shoes probably equalizes the fact that I run far less.  Now to my question finaly, I was wondering how many pairs of shoes people simultaneously use to train and also about how much distance/ months of use do you get out of your specific shoes?

I currently run in a pair of Brooks Beasts/Saucony Hurricanes.  My last to pair of shoes were Beasts/ Asics of some kind (maybe evolutions?)      Just wondering everyone!!!
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 07:08:37 am »

Right now, I have 2 pairs of road shoes that I more or less alternate, though I sometimes have 3.  I also have 2 pairs of trail shoes, though they only get used once I can get up into the mountains.  In the summer it is not uncommon for me to alternate between 5 pairs of shoes, counting road and trail.  Plus another lightweight pair for racing.

I generally use shoes for about 500 miles, though I am careful after 400 to not use them too often or for real long runs.  With you being 250 lbs, shoes probably would not last as long for you (although the beasts are pretty bulky shoes that should hold up well).
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 07:58:36 am »

I've been using a 3-pair trainer rotation for a while now.  It gives me about 5-6 months per pair, so I'm not having to break in multiple pairs at the same time (I aim for 500 miles/pair as a retirement date).  It also seems to extend the life some....I can get 500 miles out of them pretty reliably now.  Previous, I only rotated between 2 pairs and I seemed to be rougher on them and some only lasted 350+ or so.  I owned one pair of Brooks Beasts early on and retired them only because they were a bit much for my gait....even after 500+ miles their structure is intact, so those should be pretty durable for you.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 11:04:56 am »

I have a different take on shoes. I grew up with runners that could not possibly afford to change shoes every 500 miles. And we did not have good shoes to begin with. Yet our injury rates have been average, I would say even less than what I see in the US runners. Maybe not having good shoes to begin with was the secret. Our bodies adapted quicker, then it did not matter what kind of shoe we wore as long as it was not a cross-country ski boot or a dress shoe.

I wear my shoes to the hole in the soles even now that I get a sponsorship and can afford to change them more often. Why? It works. I do not get injured, and I do not run any faster in new shoes compared to the ones that have 2000 miles on them. But, a note of caution - I've run without breaks for over 23 years since the age of 11. Before that I was more active than the current average US kid. During most of my childhood I essentially wore something that only protected my soles from the thorns and the broken glass on the streets, but otherwise it was like running barefoot.

I wonder if one could develop a greater degree of resilience and a greater tolerance for shoe wear by gradually adding bare footed or thin soled running into the training regimen doing this as an adult.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 12:20:23 pm »

Sasha- that is the philosophy of Anton Krupicka, who essentially runs in homemade shoes that are as light and cushion free as he can find.  Google him, if you want.
Scott Zincone
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 12:39:45 pm »

I wonder if one could develop a greater degree of resilience and a greater tolerance for shoe wear by gradually adding bare footed or thin soled running into the training regimen doing this as an adult.

It worked for Zola Budd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zola_Budd

Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 12:44:00 pm »

I think this is true. There is a strong suspicion by barefoot advocates that many running injuries are actually caused by increased shoe technology, where the shoe itself adds so much shock-absorbing function that the foot and calf muscles start to become weak. Of course, the shoe companies would have us believe otherwise. :-)
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 02:25:25 pm »

We used to play soccer for hours with no shoes. I remember that I always felt "off" once I would put some running shoes to run after that; as if they were needlessly correcting my running style. Those of us who did play barefoot agreed that shoes were more of a hinderance than anything else, as we felt we could quick sprint faster and kick harder/more accurately without them. This is also why many higher end soccer cleats try so hard to be minimal and mimick being a foot with some cleats on the bottom. 

Anyways, I rotate through 3 pairs of shoes (usually I do two, but I got a free pair a few months back). I then use older shoes for short runs and the new ones for more specific training. I usually don't feel much of a difference btw newer pairs and will use the older ones until they start to hurt me. Usually that comes when I cannot cover 3-4 miles comfortably in them and feel every step of it.
Dawson Hinton
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 07:09:48 pm »

Thanks for the replies so far.  I have noticed that my feet get sore a little quicker in my shoes after they are 6 months old or so.  Like I said before, though, I put a lot more stress on my shoes than any of you do.  I think the Beasts definitely hold up the best/longest.  Do any of you guys run in multiple pairs of the same shoe?  I am thinking of only going to the beasts.  Any thoughts?
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 07:13:56 pm »

I once was rotating three pairs of Brooks Adrenalines at the same time. Seemed to work okay, but I think "diversity" of shoes can be a good thing too.
Fredrick Teichert
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 08:19:44 pm »

We used thoroughbred horses on our ranch in Wyoming. When we were through working cattle with them in the summer, we'd turn them loose in the hills and they'd run all over the rocks, unshod, until spring. We never had lame horses and yet, in the racing industry that's the #1 problem. Is it the same in humans? If the surfaces you run on are smooth and your shoes eliminate the need for strength in your feet and lower legs... it just seems a little counter productive. I'm also a heavier runner and I like the cushioning of a more stable shoe, but as I improve, I'm finding I like my heavier shoes less and less. I think all that correcting is making me weak and more susceptible to injury. I have a pair of Nike Frees on order and hope to incorporate some "foot training" into my schedule as the weather gets better. For those of you who have incorporated trail running into you training, my horses would say, "That's a go-ho-ho-hood (sound of a horse) thing."
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 12:10:55 pm »

Regarding the barefoot running thoughts and the "less is more" idea in regards to running shoes, I recently have been reading the book "Brain Training for Runners" my Matt Fitzgerald and thought I'd share some of his thoughts/opinion on the subject. 

He mentions recent research that suggest the human body is very much designed for distance running and is superior than most other animals in this ability. But if that's true then WHY do runners have so many darn injury problems? He (as well as others it sounds like) theorizes that "it's the shoes" and that many of the running shoes popular these days provide too much support/cushion which not only weakens some muscles but also can promote bad running form.

Specifically he points that when running barefoot (like our early running ancestors did), it's pretty much impossible to overstride and heal-strike since if you do this barefoot your heal will hurt like the dickens so you'll naturally pull the rest of the body forward and run with good form. He doesn't necessarily advocate running barefoot but does suggest adding a lightweight shoe (like the Nike Free) to the rotation initially, then if that all works out well then perhaps try running solely in a lightweight shoe or even barefoot if you can handle it.

Personally I haven't dared mess up my routine as I've been fairly injury free and don't want to mess anything up, but I have started using light-weight flats in races and in some training runs and have found that in someways I feel better after using the light shoes but also find new aches and pains in different muscles. Not sure if I used lightweight shoes all the time what might happen. For now I'm content to stick with what I'm doing but keep an open mind.
Craig Green
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 12:37:01 pm »

I have found that warm-weather workouts on the track (intervals or speed work) lends itself well to some barefoot strides on the field in the middle of the track. I usually throw in 8x100 yard strides with no shoes.

Also- when the weather starts to get warmer, you can hit the trails and mix thoese into your weekly workout. While I would suggest wearing shoes on the trails, you can (and should) wear a different pair of shoes for that type of running. I prefer a very lightweight trail racing show made by Teva. It will do wonders to strengthen your ankles and lower legs.
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 05:48:52 pm »

Right now I am rotating about 6 pairs of shoes. I have shoes for slows runs and shoes for fast runs. I think that the variety helps prevent injuries.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 01:37:31 pm »

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB114955290339472060-lMyQjAxMDE2NDA5NjUwNTYyWj.html
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: