Fast Running Blog
May 29, 2024, 12:56:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running shoes  (Read 10114 times)
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 01:50:21 pm »

Interesting article Jonathan. My wallet especially liked this part:

"One series of studies from Canadian researchers concluded that heavily cushioned shoes were more likely to cause injury than simpler shoes. They also concluded that more expensive athletic shoes accounted for twice as many injuries as cheaper shoes."
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 05:49:20 pm »

Hey, even Rocky ran in a pair of chucks and he was a world champ!
Ruth Hilton
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 06:23:09 pm »

Those "five fingers" shoe things look interesting. I wonder how comfortable it is to have fabric between your toes while running.
Dawson Hinton
Lurker

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 11:04:55 pm »

That article was definitely food for thought.  Those are some of the craziest "shoes" I have ever seen!!!
jtshad

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 07:29:22 am »

When I ran Boston in 2006, I ran into a guy who was running in Vibram foot gloves (he was sponsored by them!) and swore by running barefoot.
James Winzenz

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2008, 06:40:25 pm »

OK - I am going to ask for the collective opinions of the bloggers regarding lightweight trainers/racing shoes.  I had previously purchased a pair of Brooks Axiom 2's as lightweight trainers/racers, and they seemed to be ok - I liked that they were lighter than my Adrenalines, but still had forefoot cushioning.  However, when I ran my last 1/2 marathon, I ended up with blood blisters on the insides of both feet, right where I have calluses by my big toes, and also ended up with a blackened toenail.  Obviously the shoes are not what my feet need.  I took them back (I buy my shoes at road runner sports because they have a 60 day guarantee, no questions asked), and need to get a different pair.  I tried on a few pairs there - Asics DS Trainer 13's, Nike Zoom Elite +, Mizuno Wave Rider 3.  The Mizuno's I can't wear - the heel is much too wide.  The Nikes felt good (never thought I would say that again about a pair of Nikes), but it seemed the forefoot was pretty snug.  The Asics seemed to have the widest forefoot, but less cushioning.  Are there any other lightweight shoes others can recommend?  Saucony, New Balance, etc.?  This discussion has gotten me thinking as well, which is why I wanted to pose the question.  I have done a fair amount of research, but respect the opinions of the others on this blog.  If you have real life experience with any of these shoes or other lightweight trainers, please chime in.  Right now I am leaning towards the DS Trainers, but have also heard good things about the Saucony Grid Tangent 3.  Or what about the Brooks Racer ST3?
Ruth Hilton
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2008, 08:00:11 pm »

You could try also the Saucony Type A, if you're interested in Saucony. I know a few fellows who've quite enjoyed them.
Other than that, I've had 2 DS Trainers and I love them.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2008, 08:31:27 pm »

James- I own a pair of Nike Elite and like them, though they are not as lightweight as I would like.  I use to wear them for races, but now own a pair of Tangent 2 and use the Elite for everyday training.  As for the Tangent- Love, love, love them.  Very highly recommend the Tangents.  I have heard good things about the DS Trainers from other people, but I have no experience with them.  Let's see what other people say.

If you had blood blisters and black toenails, you might have just had the wrong size of the Axiom's.  Or they may just not be the right shape for your foot.
James Winzenz

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 10:35:53 pm »

I kind of figured they were the wrong shape.  I am used to the adrenalines, which (to me) have a nice, wide toe box.  I need that.  Jon, can you tell me if the tangents have a nice wide toe box?  I have also read about the Grid Sinister by Saucony.  Ruth - does the Type A go by a different name?  I can't seem to find that one.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2008, 07:35:50 am »

I have wide feet, as well, and the tangents work fine for me.  I would suggest trying on a pair before buying, though.
Ruth Hilton
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 07:51:26 pm »

Ruth - does the Type A go by a different name?  I can't seem to find that one.
I don't know if they are still in production, but if you google Saucony Type A they'll come up. Their ProductWiki page is http://www.productwiki.com/saucony-grid-type-a/
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: