Fast Running Blog
May 31, 2024, 05:18:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I structure my training?  (Read 3839 times)
Tyler
Lurker

« on: January 16, 2008, 02:54:37 pm »

I'm kind of a fan of Daniels' training regimen, but I stumbled across this site, and now I'm not sure I understand his suggestions:

http://www.coacheseducation.com/endur/jack-daniels-dec-00.htm

The way I thought it was supposed to work was like this:

Phase 1: Mainly easy mileage and long runs--The time to get your miles up
Phase 2: Add 20-25 minute threshold runs--Continuing to build your aerobic base
Phase 3: Add 4-6 miles of VO2max intervals
Phase 4: Add Specific-endurance type intervals--Final race preparations

But Daniels' article above says to train the phases in this order: 1-4-3-2

Since I've been running primarily easy, long, and threshold runs, I was going to add the VO2 stuff soon. But should I be focusing more on the fast reps instead?
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 03:48:16 pm »

I think that we all interpret Daniels a little differently based on our own opinions and experiences. Personally I don't use the phases as much as I just gradually add more tempo and threshold stuff throughout the season. I think most of the people on this site are foscued on longer races so we do limited repetition work (shorter than 400's), but if you are trying to run a fast mile or 3000, that sort of thing would probably be beneficial.
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 08:41:41 am »

When I was training for Boston 2 years ago, I did a 12 week program that essential went in the order that is shown below 1-2-3-4.  This establishes a base fitness level, let's you develop your speed to dial in your marathon pace and really then it emphasized the endurance runs later into the program.  The idea behinds this is that doing high speed work at the end of the program won't make you any fitter, so get the "fit" speed ingrained early then build an endurance base around this established speed.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 03:30:07 pm »

I would generally go 1-2-3-4, but what are your target events?
Tyler
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 02:43:10 pm »

I'm targeting 1500m to 5k. I'm wondering if mixing phases 2-4 a little would be best. Like during phase 3, run primarily VO2max workouts, but throw in a timely high-speed rep workout in order to improve on specific speed endurance. For example, my Tuesday workout would always be a tempo/threshold workout, but I could alternate the second workout between VO2max and speed reps.

Then again, maybe I should just buy Daniels' book. The woes of being a college student.......
James Winzenz

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 10:29:53 pm »

Not to throw a wrench in the works, but I think you ought to check out Lydiard as well.  He has some fantastic ideas that help improve both speed and endurance.  http://www.lydiardfoundation.org
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 07:31:50 am »

Tyler I think you are right.  I think for shorter distances, I would not strictly adhere to those phases, but instead have those workouts be the focus of that phase, but I would think phases 2-4 should have mixes of threshold, VO2Max and event specific workouts.  I have never coached runners but I have been coached and that's how it seemed to go for me.  So in phase 2 make sure you have one tempo a week, but do another workout once a week and do either a VO2Max workout or an event specific workout.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: