Fast Running Blog
May 31, 2024, 07:00:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gu or whatever during a marathon  (Read 10031 times)
Rhett
Lurker

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 02:03:56 pm »

I'm a vanilla Gu guy and most people think I'm crazy, but I take one every 4 miles during a marathon.  I mainly stick with water cause the Gatorade starts to get to me after a while. 
Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 02:19:31 pm »

Orange Burst for me. Really, 1 every 4 miles? The recommendation is every 45 minutes. Does this mean you're targetting a about 4:52:30 for Boston? Maybe its not the gatoraide that gets to you so much as the combination of Gu/Gatoraide overdose?  Roll Eyes
Rhett
Lurker

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 02:53:30 pm »

Orange Burst for me. Really, 1 every 4 miles? The recommendation is every 45 minutes. Does this mean you're targetting a about 4:52:30 for Boston? Maybe its not the gatoraide that gets to you so much as the combination of Gu/Gatoraide overdose?  Roll Eyes
Actually I'm a sub 3 marathoner (just barely) I just like to keep the tanks full.
David S
Lurker

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 03:16:25 pm »

I have not heard of every 45 minutes before.  The rule of thumb in our running club is every 4 - 5 miles, and one about 15 minutes before the race.  That means having 5 or 6 on you.  In the grand scheme of things, we are only talking about 500 - 600 calories over a 26 mile race.  Not really much when you think about it.  What ever one does, it needs to be vetted out over a couple of long runs to see what works and what doesn't. Also, make sure you find out what the race is handing out for its sports drink and try it before hand.  Don't introduce anyting - ANYTHING - new on race day. Not even something as trivial as a shirt, socks, underwear, etc., don't even think about it.  BTW - for me, Accelrade Gels are the best tasting and easiest to go down, and they have some protein in them.  The only downside is that the packages are somewhat bigger than competing brands.

As for carbo loading - this method has gotten a lot of attention in our club.  Those who have tried it - including me - have had good results. One note is that the 3 minutes of intense exercise does not have to be running - I did mine on a stationary bike.  Again, it should be tried out before a long run first.
Excellent synopsis here: http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0974.htm
Full study here:  http://www.unm.edu/~rrobergs/RapidCHOLoading.pdf
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 03:31:19 pm by David S » Logged
Rhett
Lurker

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 03:38:56 pm »

I have not heard of every 45 minutes before.  The rule of thumb in our running club is every 4 - 5 miles, and one about 15 minutes before the race.  That means having 5 or 6 on you.  In the grand scheme of things, we are only talking about 500 - 600 calories over a 26 mile race.  Not really much when you think about it.  What ever one does, it needs to be vetted out over a couple of long runs to see what works and what doesn't. Also, make sure you find out what the race is handing out for its sports drink and try it before hand.  Don't introduce anyting - ANYTHING - new on race day. Not even something as trivial as a shirt, socks, underwear, etc., don't even think about it.  BTW - for me, Accelrade Gels are the best tasting and easiest to go down, and they have some protein in them.  The only downside is that the packages are somewhat bigger than competing brands.

As for carbo loading - this method has gotten a lot of attention in our club.  Those who have tried it - including me - have had good results. One note is that the 3 minutes of intense exercise does not have to be running - I did mine on a stationary bike.  Again, it should be tried out before a long run first.
Excellent synopsis here: http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0974.htm
Full study here:  http://www.unm.edu/~rrobergs/RapidCHOLoading.pdf

David, I'm a huge fan of the Aussie Carb Loading Plan.  I have gotten fantastic results with it.  As a matter of fact I am doing it today as tomorrow will be a 23 mile Boston Simulation run for me.  I'm doing everything just like I will do on race day today and tomorrow.  I do my 3 minutes running and have not experienced any tired leg problems from it in the past.

dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 03:56:07 pm »

I do well with the chocolate flavored gu.  One at 6 miles, 10 miles, 16 miles, and 20.  For me, I'd take them 2-minutes before hitting the water table.  Also, I take gatorade at every station, except after a gu (water).  This past marathon I literally stopped at each station to get the liquids down, kept my eye on a runner near me, and caught back up with them once everything was down.  The time stopped was more than made up for by keeping fully hydrated.  My fastest mile was mile 26 and I got my bq. 
Jeff Linger

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 11:55:27 pm »

Every 45 minutes is the 'manufacture's recommendation' as it were. I was joking, of course, about the 4:52:30. I heard you were a sub 3er. I just wish I could work Boston with you, but I'm in corral 5. I usually take 1 5 minutes before the race starts and then 1 every 6 miles. Of course, I did this on my only attempt at the marathon a year ago. During training I've significantly cut back on my Gu intake. No need to test it, I know I do well with it. I haven't done a single training run yet where I've taken more than 1. I'll still stick to the 1 before 1 every 6 rule though.

Dave, I like you're idea of actually stopping at water stations and picking a runner to catch back up to. Out of curiosity, how long do you usually take to catch back up? Is it a get right at it and then back to pace plan, or a gradual catch back up plan?

Burt, when I take my Gu's I usually take them in parts. If I down the whole thing at once I find I'm not able to maintain a steady oxygen intake. As such, I usually take my Gu's in 3-4 'bites' as it were.
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 02:28:27 pm »

Jeff, I just get right back with them.  I find folks near my pace slow down a little bit anyway and get maybe half the liquid I do.  The short little spurts didn't really hurt me at all (however, I was running a very flat marathon, so my legs were never really thrashed and this actually gave me some enjoyable variety). 
Jeff Linger

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2009, 03:44:40 pm »

Jeff, I just get right back with them.  I find folks near my pace slow down a little bit anyway and get maybe half the liquid I do.  The short little spurts didn't really hurt me at all (however, I was running a very flat marathon, so my legs were never really thrashed and this actually gave me some enjoyable variety). 

So, what do you think about this approach to Boston? Also, I've heard it said that a good recommendation is to pick the left side of the road for water/gatoraide or whatever they're serving because most of the runners have a tendancy to go for the right side. The advice I heard was to pick the left and stay to the left. Additionally, what do people have to say about the crowds (runners, not spectators) effecting one's ability to get onto pace.

Am I understanding this corral system correctly? They send out the elites. About an hour later they start with Wave I and send people out in corrals? 1000 people to a corral? Do they line all the Wave I corrals up and start them out together, or is there a small break between each corral within each wave?
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2009, 04:42:17 pm »

The women elite start ~30 minutes before everyone else.  But the men elite and everyone else start at the same time (unless they made some major changes I never heard about).

I don't know about left versus right tables, but I do know don't go to the first table- that is where the backup is.  Go to one of the later tables.
seesuerun
Lurker

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2009, 09:09:21 pm »

I'm coming in the conversation too late. I like the sports jelly beans orange are the best. Stay away from orange shot blocks though! Has any one else had those, those are nasty! The beans are easy to carry and I like to just suck on them at times. Cherry or the black cherry shot blocks are great. I like the gu's too. I find that one 15 min before a race (not just a run) helps me a little. Probably just a mind thing though.
Rhett
Lurker

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2009, 09:33:04 pm »

So, what do you think about this approach to Boston? Also, I've heard it said that a good recommendation is to pick the left side of the road for water/gatoraide or whatever they're serving because most of the runners have a tendancy to go for the right side. The advice I heard was to pick the left and stay to the left. Additionally, what do people have to say about the crowds (runners, not spectators) effecting one's ability to get onto pace.

Am I understanding this corral system correctly? They send out the elites. About an hour later they start with Wave I and send people out in corrals? 1000 people to a corral? Do they line all the Wave I corrals up and start them out together, or is there a small break between each corral within each wave?

Yes the elite women start 30 mins. before everone else then we all start together.  The elite men are in front then the 1000s in corral 1, 2000s in corral 2, etc.  There is no gap between corrals and each corral is so packed that last year I wasn't able to get into my corral until after people started moving.  I like to stay on the left as well, but not until I pass through the roundabout a few miles into the race where it is a bit shorter to be on the right.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: