Fast Running Blog
May 01, 2024, 06:25:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A battle with shin splints  (Read 4561 times)
Lori Metcalf
Lurker

« on: January 29, 2009, 01:23:57 pm »

I have a few questions about shin splints. I had them a very long time ago when I first started running. Back then they were much more painful, but seemed to heal faster. It could be that I dont' remember this correctly though. Anyway since about mid Nov. I have had shin splints in my right leg. I have gone to the doctor, had my orthotic ajusted. I have rested... iced and I even have an anti-inflamitory patch. They seem to be getting better, but very slowly. I't mainly just a dull ach. So I'm wondering, if I can keep running at a slower pace and less miles will they heal, or do I need to be totally off them? What causes them so I can try not to get them again? and best advise to get rid of them.
Thanks, Lori
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 02:14:53 pm »

I've had them a few times.  One thing to do is make sure your shoes aren't worn out- old shoes with bad cushioning can contribute.  Rest and ice will help, certainly, but if you want to keep running, do so on soft surfaces (grass, not concrete).  I seem to remember doing exercises, too, to strengthen the lower leg- I would put my leg in a bucket with ice water and I would spell out the alphabet with my foot.  Just an idea.  And I also got some compression socks, which seemed to really help with the pain.
Chris M
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 05:17:47 am »

Here's some advice I have had before (copy and paste from a forum thread) might help:

Shin splints are easy to cure - if you are prepared to stop the cause they will go away within a few days.

The best thing to deal with established splints is to stretch and strengthen them - sit on your feet with them pointing behind you.
Walk around on your heels - do not let the front part of the foot touch the ground till your shins fatigue.

Then stop the cause - shin splints are caused by the foot being forced to the ground through impact when you are tensing the shin muscles.

Impact forces the foot to the ground because you land on the heel and you are trying to keep your toes up.

When you run you must stop doing this - you need to land with perfectly relaxed lower legs,land under neath you rather than in front and land on the ball of your foot first letting the heel touch the ground. If you legs stay relaxed at landing even when walking then the splints will melt away.

the easiest way to relkax your legs as you walk is to imagine a bar sticking out of your ankle bones that you have to step over. as your foot passes over the bar it is floppy. (try this for the first few times on your own as you will look a little like a chicken. Get it right and the splints will relax even with your first walk

Instead of walking on your heels, you alternatively keep pointing your foot up towards your knee and back down again as fast as you can until it is fatigued, say 30 times or so. You can do this couple of times a day even when sitting at a desk.
Lucia
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 12:16:04 pm »

Hi Lori! I feel your pain, I've been dealing with shin splints for over a year now! Here's what I've learned...
First, resting, even for several weeks, doesn't seem to make a difference. I get them right back as soon as I start again. The pain seems to be less if I run a bit slower, on soft surfaces, and not for too long.
Barry gave me his exercise program and that is helping me make the pain tolerable, though not completely gone:

1. Before you run do these exercises:

- duck walk with your toes pointing outward away from each other for 20 meters.

- duck walk with your toes pointing inward toward each other for 20 meters.

- heel walk with your toes pointing up for 20 meters.

- walk backwards on your toes for 20 meters.

- then do your other regular stretches or other drills and then do your run.

2. After your run do this simple exercise. Find a step or curb that has a hand rail or something you can hold on to and steady yourself. Stand on the step on one foot with your forefoot (have your heel extended off the step in the air).

Raise yourself and lower yourself as many times as you can until your calf muscle burns. I usually get about 100 raises in a set.

Change legs and with the other foot raise and lower yourself as many times as you can until that calf muscle burns.

Repeat this with each leg so you can get 3 sets with each leg.

I hope this helps - Chris, thank you for your posting, your advice is very valuable!

Good luck Lori! If you find the magical cure, please please please tell me!

Lucia
Lucia
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 08:57:25 pm »

Chris, I really think you're onto something... I tried running the way you described, and had very little shin pain. Thank you for the advice! Lori, let me know if you try it and if it helps!
Lucia
Lori Metcalf
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 01:18:43 pm »

Thanks everyone for all your input. My shins are slowly coming around, and the things I think that have helped the most have been: 1) The streatching and all the funny walking before my run. 2) I have been wearing compression sleeves on my calves. 3) ice... ice... ice. and last I go see my massage guy... he is tough but it really has helped.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: