Fast Running Blog
May 01, 2024, 01:55:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chat Application would be nice  (Read 6896 times)
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« on: October 06, 2008, 03:52:49 pm »

You know how we have to sign in to access our workout log? Couldn't we figure out a way to have a virtual chat applet like through IRC or something so that we could talk in real time to people? This just occurred to me because I've been playing message tag with a few bloggers, and it very quickly inflates my message numbers in my email account. Plus virtual chat would also allow many of us to come together and collaborate at the same time. Just a thought.

Benn
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 11:13:36 am »

I second that - it makes it more like a facebook-type app that allows for multiple purposes, and for someone like me who has neither a Facebook nor a MySpace account, that would be pretty cool.  That being said, it may be something that would require a major overhaul, or at least adding additional services to the FRB server, which may cost Sasha extra money.
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 08:48:22 am »

Yeah I know it would probably be an investment, though I'm not a computer guy so I don't know much about what type of programming/cost it requires. I know it would be a lot to ask people to pay for it, but I know that this blog has not only made me a better runner, but has also changed my outlook on life. You guys and gals are like a second family. I'd definitely be willing to contribute again and put it towards the chat applet. It was just a thought that occurred to me so that we could have round table discussions you know? And get instant feedback/advice/support from multiple people.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 10:09:56 am »

Who knows, there may be a plugin that would be easy for Sasha to implement. There's some chat apps for php in the link below.

http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/Chat_Scripts/index.html
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 11:04:04 am »

I already spend too much time on the blog.  This would result in my wife disowning me.
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 04:58:13 am »

Hahaha yeah I hear you there. But I just think it would be a whole different perspective on the blog. You could get real time help, suggestions, and just hang out with some cool cats ;p
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 01:59:49 pm »

This one would have to go on a far back burner. Lots of work, and not a whole lot of added value. Plus I do not like the idea of instant gratification. If you have a question, post on the discussion board, and wait for someone to answer it. If you want to chat, use Skype, GMail,or any other application.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 03:03:50 pm »

As a workaround, you could just use Yahoo or Microsoft chat services in tandem with this message board. For example, you can scroll to the bottom of the board and see who is currently online. Then you can click on the their name, and go to their profile. From the profile, you can access their IM info.
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 03:15:49 pm »

And since everyone will undoubtedly choose a different chat service, grab a cross-service chat client like Pidgin (http://www.pidgin.im/).  You'll have to have accounts compatible with everyone you want to talk to, but you get most of the nifty features that make each chat service unique.
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 04:13:39 pm »

Would anyone be "weirded out" though if they suddently started getting IMs from me? haha  Tongue
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 04:46:12 pm »

Less weirded out than some of the garbage I get from being on Skype.  Roll Eyes
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 10:55:47 am »

Alright! Yay for IMs from FRBloggers. Though I haven't had anyone IM me yet ;(doh!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: