Fast Running Blog
April 18, 2024, 08:33:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shorts for marathons - with or without pockets - suggestions?  (Read 7578 times)
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« on: September 18, 2008, 11:23:06 am »

So I am looking to get a new pair of shorts before the marathon (I fully intend on breaking them in, of course) and am looking for suggestions as to the value of pockets or no pockets.  It would be nice for storing my gels (I plan on taking one gel every 6 miles, so I would need room for 4 gels).  My current short is the RRS 3" Race Day Short, which I like because it has a back zippered pocket, but dislike because the material is stiffer than I would prefer.  I prefer a soft, thin material.  I was looking at the Asics R/D Split Short (no back pocket, 2" inseam) and the RaceReady LD Split-Cut (lots of pockets, but very short - 1" inseam).  Opn to other suggestions or reviews of shorts as well.  I prefer a short with a 3" inseam or less, and prefer a 1/2 split or full split short.  Anyone else got any suggestions?  Has anyone else tried the RaceReady shorts?  If so, which style?  I was talking to Steve today, and he had recommended them.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 12:33:01 pm »

I had the Race Ready, but with the longer inseam.  I liked all the pockets, though I carry TP and chapstick rather than gu's.  My only complaint was I often got chaffing from them.  But I wore them for a few years so much that the lining wore out, so they must have been somewhat decent.  Good shorts, good pockets, bad chaffing.
Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 01:03:34 pm »

Did those come in green Jon?
James Winzenz

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 01:10:34 pm »

Chafing - bad.  I don't want something that chafes - if necessary, I can wear a small fanny pack to hold my gels (I have a real small one already).  Any experience with the Asics R/D Split Short?
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 02:50:10 pm »

Mine were black, Dustin.  Sorry, nothing can replace my greeny-green shorts.
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 02:57:54 pm »

Of course Steve suggested those race ready shorts - every time he wears them he gets nothing but cat calls!  And the rest of us have to enjoy the show from the front row:(
Josse

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 04:04:45 pm »

I have tried many differant types of races ready shorts.  My favorite are the BOA brand shorts.  I like them for many reasons, they are a soft material, are a good lenght (not super short but not super long), they have a nice 3-part pocket in the back that I have never had a problem with stuff falling out of them.  And they never chafe me.  I hate have tried wearing a small fanny pack like thing and hated it.  I also have tried some shorts that have the pocket on the side that face the back and found they are hard to get stuff out in a race.
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 10:25:26 am »

I've used a Gu belt in the past that has worked really well.  It is just a thin strip (maybe 1") of elastic material that clips around your waist and has slots for 5 or 6 Gu packets.  I have a pair of race ready shorts and they are very comfortable but a bit too revealing for me.  I'm not a big fan of the split seam shorts and think that they should be outlawed.
James Winzenz

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 10:38:23 am »

Do you have the LD Split-Cut short?  If so, I can understand why you would feel it was a bit too revealing . . . I think a 1" inseam is really too short for me.  Any other recommendations?  What does everyone else wear?
Adam R Wende

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 01:47:03 pm »

I haven't read all the replies so some one may have already said this. But I went without pockets and my wife sewed two "key" pockets in that I can put two Gus in each... Worked like a charm.
Paul (RivertonPaul)
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 09:49:57 am »

James, I think you should just wear a Speedo.  Smiley
James Winzenz

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 04:31:31 pm »

James, I think you should just wear a Speedo.  Smiley

HAHAHAHAHA - not on your life!  I just found a pair of the Asic R/D Split shorts at a local running store and will be wearing them for the marathon.  Although they don't have any pockets, I will probably go ahead and wear the racing pack I got last year.  I actually like the amount of coverage they provide.  First chance to test them out will be tomorrow or Saturday.
James Winzenz

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 03:24:45 pm »

Check that - so I tried on the Asics R/D split shorts, and the medium was too small (too tight), and the large was too big.  I took them back and now have a pair of Nike DriFIT Raceday short.  Still size medium - just goes to show that every manufacturer is a little different with sizing.  I was trying to make sure that my apparel was all of the same brand, but oh well - I'm not going to worry about that any more.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: