Fast Running Blog
May 23, 2024, 08:50:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Racing in Hurricane Ike ! ? ?  (Read 2091 times)
Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« on: September 12, 2008, 03:08:27 pm »

I'm running a 1/2 marathon on Sunday morning. I've been targeting this race for a while and have potential hopes of cracking 1:27. The essential forecast, however, is Hurricane Ike rolls into town. Flash flood warnings from Saturday morning through Sunday afternoon. The sunday forecast is for Heavy Rain 3-6 inches, and potentially more in certain localities yet to be determined. The race directors have said that rain or shine the race is on. In this case, it will indubitably not just rain, but probably periods of absolute pouring rain. So, what's the advice and suggestions. I've run in pouring rain before, but I'm just looking for some tips and any little details people can think of. Do I wear a fanny pack with extra socks? Is it worth considering spending the time during the race to switch them out? Should I go with no socks? I picked up a small, but slightly irritating blister yesterday running in some light rain on the side of my foot next to the callous just off the side of the ball of my foot! Garbage bag pre-race. I'll probably go without a shirt. Carry all my own Gu and don't depend on the aid station at mile 8 to be adequately manned? Do I carry any body glide on me? Do I scrap the fanny pack and all materials that go with it as this will just end up rubbing, bothering me, etc?

Help!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 03:10:48 pm by Jeff Linger » Logged
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 03:54:51 pm »

You can't controll the weather, if we could every race would be overcast and 50 degres the whole way with a slight tail wind for that extra push.  Also if weather is extreame than we have to except that we will probably not get our goal time.  I wouldn't race with any extra sock but would bring some to change after a warm-up or after the race for a cool down.  I would have a hat as well.  But if you are planning on stopping for a sock change then I would not have a goal time in mind.  I hope the rain holds until you cross the finish line. 
Good luck and don't get washed away from a flash flood.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 04:55:03 pm »

I agree with the pre and post-race sock/shoe change, but not worth it mid-race.  Your shoes would still be wet, anyways.  I would do minimal, non-chafing clothing, only.  And have fun- I've had some great runs/races in crazy-bad weather.  Just enjoy it rather than fight it! 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: