Fast Running Blog
April 27, 2024, 02:09:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the 1/2 In Moab to soon?  (Read 4026 times)
ktjo
Lurker

« on: October 16, 2007, 03:34:42 pm »

I was asked about Moab, and I never really thought about it. To me it seems like a really long time away and that I could be ready, but I really have no clue what I am doing.   Am I dreaming?
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 04:07:40 pm »

You could probably survive a half marathon right now, although likely not without an injury that will make you unable to run for a while. It is very possible for you to get fit by March to run it safely and with a reasonable degree of enjoyment (under 2:00). However, do not force things. Train, do your best to get fit, once you are, race the distance. I would really discourage Moab in your situation. You have to make a decision now to be able to get in. It is also a quite a strain on the family budget. Run Ogden, either the March version (smaller), or the May version (bigger) instead.
MikL
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 11:36:08 am »

The cool thing about Moab is that you can sign up for the half and then when it gets closer if you don't feel like you are ready, you can switch to the 5 mile. At least that's what I've been told. There's a group of us girls going to Moab (if we get in) so it should be fun!
ktjo
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 03:15:34 pm »

oK,  So new question, What are all the costs for something like this.  There is no need for hotel, my parents (My parents would go with me if my husband could not because of kids.) and I both have nice big rv's. So that is a big part of it right?   I will probley sit Moab out then if that is what you think I should do. I don't think I want to go that far for a 5k.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 03:28:31 pm »

The only real reason to run Moab is to go to Moab. In other words, you want a vacation or you just really like red rock, hiking, camping, etc. The race itself is well-managed, but a race is a race and you can find local races nearly every weekend that aren't a 4 or 5 hour drive. Personally, I love the Moab Half, but do it mostly as an excuse to go camping, get some sun, and do some dutch oven cooking.

As far as cost, I've done Moab 4 years with a shoe-string budget. We usually camp, buy groceries at the store for most meals rather than eat out, and carpool with friends to save gas. I think I've done the whole thing for less than $100. But then, I don't have kids or anything either.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: