Fast Running Blog
September 30, 2024, 03:30:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Course Tool Question relating to 2008 Park City Marathon Course  (Read 2552 times)
Paul (RivertonPaul)
Posting Member

« on: August 21, 2008, 01:18:09 pm »

I've not used the course tool much before, but checking the smooth course feature makes a big difference. For example, by checking the smooth the course out feature in the 2008 Park City Marathon course created by importing the data from the KML file provided by the marathon, the projected finish time for a target flat pace of 7:20 drops from 3:27:28 to 3:21:14. I wish I had more experience in which is a better projection.

Should I check the smooth course option, not check it, or split the difference?
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 02:16:12 pm »

Assuming that you used the default 20% crazy grade cutoff, and given that PCM does not have 20% grade anywhere, the smoothed prediction would be more accurate. In fact, for that course if you set it at 10% it will be even better. There is nothing steeper than 10% on that course. Be aware, though, that Course Tool does not take the effects of less oxygen at altitude into consideration. At least not yet.
Paul (RivertonPaul)
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 03:11:58 pm »

Thanks Sasha, as always you are a fountain of information.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: