Fast Running Blog
April 30, 2024, 05:28:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 running issues  (Read 3215 times)
Kelli
Vocal Lurker

« on: August 01, 2008, 06:15:58 pm »

1.  The stupid black toenail.  Are there just some people that can never get rid of this problem???  I have tried several different shoes and sizes, but I just keep losing my toenail.  I guess it is really NO BIG DEAL, but I so liked my pretty feet!

2.  This is probably more for women who have had kids, but how do you not have to "tinkle" all of the time while running?  Is there a trick to what not to drink or to drink?  I kegel like crazy, but after 5 kids, it is just a problem i believe I am stuck with.  I lose so much time having to stop and run, especially at those dreaded first porta potties where there is a LINE for other reasons!  I believe, to the best of my calculations, I lost a little over 12 minutes at the TOU last year.  I just want to make 5 miles without having to find a potty!!!
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 06:49:47 pm »

Kelli- I can only address topic 1.  I have 5 black toenails right now.  Sometimes I have 6, and sometimes I lose my toenails afterwards.  It is generally caused by shoes that are too short, and for me it is worse when I run down steep hills.  However, I still get them with big enough shoes because I curl my toes under a little bit when I run, which still puts pressure on the ends of my toes resulting in the black toenails.  So if getting bigger shoes doesn't work, then you may be stuck with them.  I doubt many runners have pretty feet, though.

One thing- when they first turn black on me, they hurt until I drain the blood (usually by putting a needle under my toenail to pop it, then squeezing the blood out).  Then they never hurt again.  So I figure there are worst things than having ugly but painless toes.
Kelli
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 07:50:16 pm »

I went to some BIG shoes, they took some getting used to!!  It did not help.  I do drain the blood right away (I had to stop wearing pretty blue and purple toenail polish so I would know they were "black").  I guess it is just my fate!  I have one that goes continually, but I have lost two other toenails to this wonderful runners syndrome!  Like you said, aside from the initial pain, it is not really a problem---until I try to wear pretty sandals to church!

So, to decide:  do I want to be a runner more than I want to have pretty toes??  I REALLY liked my pretty toes....

Thanks for making me feel unalone, though!
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 09:42:17 am »

I think with both problems either you have the problem or you don't.  In my experience with black toenails is it doesn't matter the shoe you will still get them if you are prone to get them.  I have been marathoning for 11+ years and only had a light bruise that didn't result in a lost toenail.  And the people I know that get black toenails get them every marathon they do.  Toehail polish is a good cover up.
As for the potty problem, the women that I know that have this problem usually is cause by a slipped or sagging uterus, you would need to see your ob for that to make sure.  They can do surgery to help that.
Kelli
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 02:00:00 pm »

So, I guess for now they are just going to be my problems!  At least I am not alone!  I do wish that I could keep my toenails, but OH WELL!!!

Thanks for your replies.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: