Fast Running Blog
March 28, 2024, 12:26:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Free PHP/MySQL web development classes  (Read 18607 times)
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« on: July 22, 2008, 01:47:44 pm »

Fast Running Blog is now offering free PHP/MySQL web development classes. Advance your career while paying zero in tuition! Instructor credentials: the original replication developer at MySQL, author of two books: MySQL Enterprise Solutions and Understanding of MySQL Internals, and the author of 98% of the code behind the Fast Running Blog. Those who complete the course may use the instructor as a reference when applying for jobs. In some places this may do you more good than a college diploma.

When an offer sounds too good to be true, it usually is. And this one is not an exception. Two catches. A lot of learning would have to be self-guided. You will receive an e-mail with basic instructions and documents to study, and then you do some leg work. E-mail support is available. When in a bind, you can always ask for a tip. The other catch is that you will learn while coding up Fast Running Blog projects. The ROI for me is in the free labor source to reduce our lengthy TODO list.

If you are interested, the first assignment is to get Linux installed on a partition or a dedicated computer. Make sure to install Apache, MySQL, and PHP. Any flavor of Linux will do - Ubuntu, Knoppix, CentOS, Fedora, RedHat, SuSE, etc. Use Google when you have a question, if it is not answered in 15 minutes of searching, post it here.
Hon Ho
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 01:30:21 pm »

OK I am in.  I have ubunto installed already.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 02:03:49 pm »

Sasha  tell me what you want me to work on and I'll start right away.  Send your books or information whatever.  I've coded in PHP.  You've already have it setup on my Linux Red Hat 5 Server.
Chris M
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 01:29:08 pm »

Do you still want people for this? I am interested, I have so far managed to get apache and php working on my MacBook, just need to sort MySQL next.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 05:19:48 pm »

Yes, the offer still stands. Connect your system to the net, make sure SSH daemon is running, and send me an e-mail when ready. I can help you set up MySQL.
Chris M
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 03:04:50 am »

I am planning to use my MacBook (is this ok as it won't be connected to the net all the time?)
Apache and PHP are included by default in Mac I just had to enable them, I managed to get my Mac connected to the net to display the homepage which comes up with the Apache logo to say it works, also I put up a .php with the phpinfo line in, so that when you go to the page you can check that PHP works too.

Just downloading MySQL now - it's 60MB so I'll post after I get it working (or after I have a good try).

Chris M
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 03:52:31 am »

Right, got MySQL downloaded and the MySQL server status says it is running! Smiley

Do I need to get the shared libraries too? http://switch.richard5.net/isp-in-a-box-v2/installing-mysql-on-mac-os-x/
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 11:53:11 am »

See if you can connect to it from PHP.
Chris M
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 01:16:00 pm »

I'll try this weekend if I can - been a bit busy recently
baldnspicy
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 07:37:25 am »

Would be more than happy to help.  Let me know what you need.  I have my own hosting servers and have dabbled in PHP.  Fairly fluent in JSP, JEE, MySQL, Linux, etc.  Trying to get more fluent in PHP, so this would be a great opportunity to do so.
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 04:04:28 pm »

Hey Sasha does the server absolutely have be Linux (i.e. LAMP) or is Windows (WAMP) acceptable? Yeah, yeah I know MS/Windows is evil and all that but already have a Windows server up and running with Apache/MySQL/PHP that I've been tinkering with and I might have some time I could help you out on the side. I can also setup a LAMP server but since the WAMP is already functional I just thought I'd check with you to see if that would work as well.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 01:23:54 pm »

Tom:

Thanks for volunteering.

With Windows we have several problems. First, I have never attempted to get the code to work on Windows. So you will likely have surprises that would likely take you longer to resolve than to set up a Linux server. Second, if you run into a problem on a Linux system I can SSH in and debug it quickly. A Windows server would require a special setup. And finally, since the production environment is Linux, you can easily introduce a bug that will not be seen until we try it on Linux.
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 02:59:20 pm »

Yeah I figured that was probably the case. I'll see what I can do about setting up Linux. Any particular versions of Apache/MySQL/PHP recommended or are the latest stable releases ok?
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 04:47:23 pm »

I am running Ubuntu 8 on the server. However, anything recent should work just fine. In addition to MySQL, PHP, and Apache you will need the curl PHP module and ImageMagik.
baldnspicy
Lurker

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 09:06:11 pm »

Ok, I'm ready to get started on this.  I'm also looking at possibility of an Android app to help with posting and commenting since at least on my Evo 4G, its not always easy to navigate.

Let me know how I can help.  Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: