Fast Running Blog
April 27, 2024, 01:56:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alex Vanias Tears It Up  (Read 5406 times)
Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« on: July 17, 2008, 11:44:31 am »

Ok, I know this isn't really someone I know. But, I still find this race result pretty amazing. Alex Vanias ran a 49:58 15k on July 12th in Traverse City, Michigan, winning the race. I was in this race as well. The course was flat with the exception of a 1 mile hill from mile 4 to 5. This hill was a killer and the humidity conditions were excessive (this comes from someone who lives in St Louis during the summer and had to ditch my singlet at the top of the hill -- for more on this hill and the weather you can see my report -- http://dandy.fastrunningblog.com/blog-07-12-2008.html ). This time isn't significant in a general way. Given the course and conditions this is a solid run in a race that generally draws a few thousand people. Don't know how this compares to the course record, but the fact that Alex is only 17 years old puts this in a whole new light. Alex just graduated from Pine River High School. Put into perspective, Alex's PR for cross country was set at his state meet in November with a time of 15:57 (5:19s) for 5K. His 5:22 pace for a 15k is quite impressive for a 17 year old.

Race results can be viewed at

http://results.active.com/pages/searchform.jsp?pubID=3&rsID=66339
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 12:25:16 pm »

...And he also beat my former teammate, Kris Koster. Kris ran around 30:00 10K and 14:30 5K when he was in college, so that should give young Alex a benchmark of sorts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: