Fast Running Blog
April 30, 2024, 07:48:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Goal Type  (Read 16255 times)
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 03:46:44 pm »

Cool!  I'm married to a  master's elite!  And I'm trying to learn how to use the quote button.  =)

Kim I'm glad you think it's cool but don't get too excited. Notice Sasha said the goal we put should be the next closest goal ABOVE our current level of fitness.

With master speedsters Darin, Carl, and JohnA all within a few blocks of our house, I don't know that I even qualify as a master's elite in my neighborhood! But it is nice to know that I can beat John if the distance is long enough, and I'm getting closer all the time to Darin (at least I can take him during the winter when he slacks off on the training). Carl on the other hand...that's a tough one. May have to wait until he gets really lazy or hurt Smiley
Cal
Lurker

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 06:00:34 pm »

Just what exactly is an 'elite' anyway?  At St. George they let me in the Elite Chute (with several hundred others, of course).  But in these classifications I'm not sure...

From what I've gathered from numerous other bloggers, 'Sub-3' would be a large and worthy category. 
Adam R Wende
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 10:11:28 pm »

It's funny. Be careful what you ask for. Initially I thought this would be a great idea but I see the technical difficulty of making it truly usable. Also, when I really think about it I do it for all the above and none of the above if that makes sense... I was thinking more like marathon target times. Like who are the people shooting for sub-6, sub-5, sub-4:30, sub-4, sub-3:30, sub-3:15, sub-3, sub-2:45, sub-2:30, sub-2:19. This isn't the reason why I run, it would be a filter to look for evenly paced training partners. Then again this is also my marathon centric view of the world...
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 09:30:22 am »

I actually enjoyed sorting the blog by goal type to see who set what goal.  My initial reaction was "Local Elite" for myself, and it appears most of the people I run with had the same thought.
Adam R Wende

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 09:58:12 am »

Jon, Dido but Chad is holding out...
Chad
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 12:45:02 pm »

"Local Elite" sounds too ... well, elitist.  The designation makes some sense, but I like the goal time thing better.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 09:10:29 pm »

Time designation would take too much space. Consider all the possibilities: marathon, half-marathon, 10 K, 5 K and all reasonable ranges on those.
Adam R Wende

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2008, 12:35:11 pm »

Sasha, that is a good excuse. Except for the fact that the home page of the blog only talks about the marathon... So it probably isn't necessary to have all the time goals for all distances. Also, you can have people convert their goals. The idea is getting a filter that will help you find people that train at the same pace and even "Boston Qualifier" or "OTQ" don't cut it because there are both men and women on the blog as well many different ages. So maybe having just the time ranges mentioned could be a start. Does it hurt to have an extra filter? We could keep what you've already done but also add this on... Just a thought.
Chad
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2008, 09:32:16 pm »

In reality, I would gladly settle for being an "Age Division Winner" at most races.  This 35-39 division is brutal!
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2008, 10:08:37 pm »

This 35-39 division is brutal!
Just wait till you hit Masters!
Adam R Wende

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2008, 07:43:07 pm »

Chad, That is why I picked local elite. I know I don't want to have to beat Sasha to make the "Age Division Winner" goal Grin
Lybi
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2008, 09:42:57 pm »

I think it would be nice to have "Recover From Injury" as a goal type.  This will alert us to who has been injured lately, and injured people can check out how other people are cross training.     
Jeff Linger

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2008, 10:07:53 am »

If the goal here is to establish some sort of categorical means of finding other runners similar to you ... then why not break it down into 2 sortable categories based upon mileage and average pace. Instead of some sort of subjective title you could simply have those 2 questions. Mileage/week could be based upon 10 mile spans and average pace would be the pace at which the majority of your miles are run at. This I suppose could be established at either 30 second or 1 minute increments. I would suspect that the categories could be something like sub 6, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, do you go 10+ or is it necessary to continue to break it down after that? What is the average pace at which you are no longer running, but walking? 15s?
Adam R Wende

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2008, 10:29:31 am »

Jeff, I think it is tough to find any way to group runners. I like and will continue to press for my goal time. My reason for that over your suggestion is that many runners take there "easy" runs to mean different things. For example compare Kory and I. We both have similar race times but are average training pace is VERY different. So even though we should be grouped in the same goal category your system would have us in different places. I like the suggestion though and hope that Sasha adds in another level of sorting. "Local Elite" just doesn't really mean anything...
Jeff Linger

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2008, 10:41:10 am »

One of the purposes of this feature is to help you easily find training partners in your area (when the blog gets big enough).

Adam, does that mean that while you and Kory might race together, you wouldn't train together?   Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: