Fast Running Blog
April 30, 2024, 09:52:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Goal Type  (Read 16256 times)
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« on: June 04, 2008, 12:38:57 pm »

After seeing the "Goal Type" added to our profiles I was surprised to see a lot of people select "Other".  Is there something missing from the categories or are you just too shy to put your true type out there? 

Here are the current options:
Unknown
5 K Finish
Half Marathon Finish
Marathon Finish
Boston Qualifier
Local Elite
Olympic Trials Qualifier
Highschool Champ
NCAA Champ
Age Division Winner
World Class
Other
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 01:05:26 pm »

I didn't do the programming, but my guess is the default is other, until the blogger goes in and manually modifies their blog profile.  I bet most don't know that new profile selection is there.  I just happened to see it when changing my blog name today (again!).
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 01:09:28 pm »

When I signed in this morning I had to make a selection to continue.  It is listed as a required field in the user options.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 01:25:19 pm »

No, default is Unknown, and you cannot continue until you fix it.
Jesse
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 01:33:35 pm »

I assume these are ranked in ascending order.  I chose Age Division winner (locally) but it appears to be a national age division winner if it's listed after NCAA champ and before world class.  Maybe I should be local elite.
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 02:08:36 pm »

I assume these are ranked in ascending order.  I chose Age Division winner (locally) but it appears to be a national age division winner if it's listed after NCAA champ and before world class.  Maybe I should be local elite.
I made the same assumption that you did.  Maybe I need to change mine to other.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 03:28:54 pm »

They are not ranked in any particular order other than the order I've thought them up. Still way too many Other types. Which means I missed something. Will please all the Others state why they are Other. Sarah already told me I missed "Fitness".
Jesse
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 04:21:33 pm »

This is a hard thing to categorize because I think a lot of people fall between the category of marathon finish and local elite.  High school participation, junior varsity, varsity, district, region and state champ but how do you put that in road running vernacular?  Recreational runner, Serious runner, Age division winner, Local race winner, City race winner, State race winner, National race winner, just some thoughts.
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 05:02:59 pm »

I think that with the addition of fitness runner that the categories are good.  Adding too many would defeat the purpose.
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 06:22:07 pm »

I wasn't really sure what to put.  I assume this is what your goal is, so if you have not finished a marathon and your goal is to do so you would put marathon finish right?
Maria Imas
Lurker

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 09:45:02 am »

I chose "Other" because there was no appropriate category. All the choices assumed competitive running, which I cannot really do at this point. So, fitness sounds like a good one to add. I would normally pick "Age group winner", but my health doesn't allow me that goal now, so I had to pick Other. I will change it to fitness when it becomes available.
Cal
Lurker

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 09:54:56 am »

I picked 'other' because the categories didn't seem to fit my current goals exactly.  The closest ones would perhaps be 'local elite' or 'age division winner'.  But I'm really looking for 'continual improvement', and more specifically at the full marathon distance.
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 10:21:05 am »

Cal I think I'm in the same boat as you. I think I put "Age division winner" for now but like you I'm really just looking to continually improve with particular focus on marathon distance. Not sure how to sum that up in a short/concise goal statement. I suppose we could lists goals as PR type goals (i.e. 5K PR, Marathon PR, etc...)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 10:22:45 am by Tom » Logged
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 12:02:13 pm »

One of the purposes of this feature is to help you easily find training partners in your area (when the blog gets big enough). You are supposed to put the next closest goal above your current level of fitness. One concern I have about Fitness is that everybody has a different idea of what fitness means. For some it is 6:00 mile pace, while for others it is 13:00 pace. Think about what most people you race against or close to would have put for the goal type or would have wanted to put for the goal type if it was available.

Tom - for you it could be Masters Elite. Which I will add once I've collected other ideas. Another one - Heal From Injury.
Kim Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 03:27:20 pm »

One of the purposes of this feature is to help you easily find training partners in your area (when the blog gets big enough). You are supposed to put the next closest goal above your current level of fitness. One concern I have about Fitness is that everybody has a different idea of what fitness means. For some it is 6:00 mile pace, while for others it is 13:00 pace. Think about what most people you race against or close to would have put for the goal type or would have wanted to put for the goal type if it was available.

Tom - for you it could be Masters Elite. Which I will add once I've collected other ideas. Another one - Heal From Injury.

Cool!  I'm married to a  master's elite!  And I'm trying to learn how to use the quote button.  =)
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: