Fast Running Blog
April 29, 2024, 11:49:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A day in the life of  (Read 6855 times)
Sarah Pachev
Lurker

« on: May 23, 2008, 06:34:39 pm »

After reading some of the fun posts here Sasha and I started "bragging" to eachother about some of the things we do in a normal day. I think it would be fun and appropriate to tell eachother some of the interesting things we each get to do in our chosen professions that other people will be amazed at. Sasha wrote a new feature today amongst other things. I cleaned and cooked, taught piano lessons, did a science experiment with my kids, took Benjamin on a date,  and made some cool raw crackers that they sell for an arm and a leg at Good Earth. I'd like to hear some of the things all of you do each day that you may consider normal but to others will see as amazing.
Scott Zincone
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 07:22:25 pm »

I can unlock a variety of cars and trucks using a "slim jim."  Sometimes it takes as little as 2 or 3 seconds, and others up to 10 minutes.  Of course I am not perfect, some I will never get.

Sarah Pachev
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 09:10:47 pm »

Now that is talent...I'm sure you've been a hero on that account many times.
Scott Zincone
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 09:14:00 pm »

Our department does it as a courtesy.  A locksmith is anywhere between 45 and 100 bucks.  Many people from larger areas said they never knew the police did this type of thing.  When someone asks how much after I get it open,  I usually say that a thank you and a smile is all it costs.

Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 12:42:38 pm »

Scott-When I read your slim jim abilities I was concerned at first-- but now I am realizing you are a police officer.  Now I'm at ease.
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 06:13:33 pm »

This morning I ran mile repeats at 6am, ate breakfast, drove off to one physical therapy clinic to work for a while, then drove off to another PT clinic to work until lunch, then went to actual paid work from 2-7pm, following that up with another run, dinner, dishes, laundrey, and packing boxes to move. Tomorrow I get to do that again! And if I'm lucky I'll have enough time to be able to wash the car and do some repairs/checks on them.
Laurie Pope
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 11:06:10 am »

My key doesn't work in my lock anymore after the police did the slim jim, after I locked my keys in the car with my 4 month old baby.  We were in Park City to watch the finish of the first Wasatch Back Relay.

It took them about 10 minutes to get it, tried both doors, but I was very grateful when we got Natalie out! Smiley
Scott Zincone
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 02:00:21 pm »

Unfortunately damage can occur when using the slim jim.  I tell everyone that before I try.  But it does not happen very often.  While I have never seen the inside of a door i am told it is a simple fix.  Something about a rod getting knocked out of place.

Usually very stressful for all involved when a child is locked in.  Well stressful to all but the child.  They are probably wondering who all those silly people are trying to play a game outside the window.

Lulu
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 09:10:28 pm »

Yesterday morning I ran four miles at 4am. Got in a brand-new giant, red truck with a physicist and drove for 3 hours and hiked around a forest with ground penetrating radar (GPR). Radared several leafcutting ant nests. Determined which nests may cause roads or trails to collapse. Ate lunch. Then drove another hour to a lady's prefab house (in the middle of nowhere) on 11 acres of beautiful land. Checked in by phone to my employees who were in southern Louisiana documenting ecological effects of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita and now the aftermath with invasive ants in huge abundance. Answered questions from a scientist at Rice University about invasive ants, and how they affect ecosystems. Told the lady with the mobile home on the ant nest that she shouldn't have put her house on an ant nest (duh, yes she did). This nest is about the size of half of a gymnasium; it is huge. Used the GPR to determine the nest is still very active and has comprimised the soil structure under and around her home. especially the area of her septic tank. Advised her to immediately direct all water away from the home and the nest (as surface water will accelerate nest collaspe and sink holes). Advised her to move the home. She won't. Found several other nests on her property that were collasping because the ants excavate so much soil. Will come back here with an excavator to do my research in a couple of weeks. Drove four hours home and collapsed in bed around 10:30pm.

I could post something different and equally bizarre nearly every day. I love my job especially now my stalker is gone!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 08:01:13 pm by Lulu » Logged
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 11:04:26 pm »

Wow, they have some crazy ants over there!  We don't have anything like that out west!
Kim Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 06:43:43 pm »

Check out Tom's blog entry for today, May 31st, to see what our past day has been like.  http://tom.fastrunningblog.com/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: