Fast Running Blog
April 29, 2024, 06:29:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LT/AT  (Read 3060 times)
Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« on: May 04, 2008, 10:23:13 pm »

Perhaps this is a better place to post this question. Referring to the "Geek Template" of the running log ... Could someone please speak about how to go about determining a good estimate of Lactic Threshhold and Aerobic Threshhold in terms of pace/mile. A rough current estimate personally would be something as follows. M-pace: 7:00-7:20, HM-Pace 6:40-7:00, 15k 6:30-6:40, 10k 6:15-6:30, 5k 6:00-6:15. How should I go about determining if the pace I'm running is AT, LT and Base I, Base II?
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 04:51:46 pm »

Hi Jeff,

I am not one of the faster runners on the blog, but I have just about every running book ever written (including the ones from the 70's/80's -- Running to the Top is one of my all time favorites) - because I am a research geek. 

The best "explaination" I have heard about LT pace, when you don't have access to a lab to measure it, it is the pace you can comforably run a fairly high intensity for an hour (by the end it feels like you are at tempo pace).   For slower runners, like me, it is somewhere between 1/2 marathon to 30K race pace; put another way it is 85-90% of your maximum HR.   AT pace is harder to judge, some of my friends swear by the Conconi test (there is a good website on this http://www.brianmac.co.uk/coni.htm or http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/j.vd.bosch/congeneral.html) if you have a hrm.

www.mcmillanrunning.com has a calculator (under running calculator tab) based on a recent race (note that this should be a race you have run, not a target race).  Steady-state pace is LT pace and the Speed workouts are approximate AT paces. 

Good luck,
Bonnie
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: