Fast Running Blog
April 26, 2024, 11:39:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cramp problem for running Sherlocks  (Read 2963 times)
Fredrick Teichert
Vocal Lurker

« on: April 29, 2008, 10:36:14 pm »

I have suffered intermittent cramps in my calves over the last twenty years. The pain comes on unexpectedly during activity, usually after about 1/2 hour of running at a moderate pace or playing basketball. Sometime I feel a little soreness minutes before it develops into an intense and painful full-blown cramp but most of the time it comes on so quickly I don't notice anything until suddenly I'm fully debilitated. Healing can take as long as six weeks and if I'm not careful when I resume activity, it can happen all over again. I think I've had some success with megavitamins, electrolyte supplements, and stretching. Lately I've been monitoring my diet, making sure I get 4700mg of potassium and 100% of the calcium I need everyday, I've been building my mileage slowly and while I've had to deal with a couple of other injuries, I was completely surprised to have this one pop back up three weeks ago. You might think it's age related, but it also happened years ago when age wasn't a factor. Diet? I don't know. I'm eating better than I ever have and I'm getting plenty of supplementation. Shoes? This time it happened in my left leg when I was in running shoes and two weeks later in my right leg when I was in my Vibram 5 Fingers (basically barefoot). Hydration? Maybe, but I'm careful about my liquids and 1/2 hour of activity shouldn't be enough to make me dehydrated. I think this is more neurological than mechanical, but I don't know. I'm stumped and I just want to run. Anyone?
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 05:39:42 pm »

You can cramp for a # of reasons.  And for everyone it is going to be a differant reason.  And it might be a differant thing each time for that same perons causing the cramp.  I would think it would be nutrition.  Lack of something, quistion is what?  Probably what you have already stated, and you need to  take a good electrolyte and multi-vitaimin at all times if you have this problem all the time.  I might even go get some blood tests to see what excatley you are missing.
Fredrick Teichert
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 10:22:41 pm »

Josse, the blood test idea is perfect! I don't know why I hadn't thought of that! I don't trust my doctor to know what to look for (sadly), but there must be a clinic/nutritionist/sports doctor or somebody who would know what tests to take and what to look for. I'll check around unless you (or any other bloggers) have some ideas. As I said, I'm taking supplements and tracking my nutrition every day. I can't see where I'm coming up short, but that's the input side. It's possible I'm not absorbing what I'm putting in and a blood test should show that. Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: