Fast Running Blog
April 27, 2024, 10:50:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 Weeks to go ... So what now?  (Read 4392 times)
Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« on: February 22, 2008, 09:57:38 am »

I'm training for St Louis Marathon (April 6th). I did not really follow a program, but examined a number of them. In determining my training I tried to do the best I could to get a hill workout in at least once every 3 weeks. Get 1-2 interval training sessions and 1-2 threshhold runs in every 2 weeks. In addition I've tried to get in a Long Run at race pace (once I reached 16 miles I moved to every other weekend) starting with about a 13 miler and increasing. To date I've completed the following long runs at race pace (13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 20). The remainder of my workouts have usually been moderately easy runs (7:45s-8:00s) of distances between 6 and 10 miles. I've only been running since July, but I ran competitively in high school and college (15 years ago) so the racing speed seemed to come back fairly quickly. From July through November I trained about 30-35 miles per week and ran 4 races in October and November (1 of them was a 1/2 marathon -- 1:30:35). After Thanksgiving I took about 25 days off from all running and used the cardio equipment and weights at the gym. I started my training back up in the middle of December. When I began training I set the goal of my first marathon to qualify for Boston (7:28s for my age group). My most recent long run (20.25 miles I averaged about 7:15s). As someone who always wants to do the best I possibly can, simply qualifying for Boston would not leave me content if I seem capable of doing more. As I've never run a marathon before, I'm not sure what I'm capable of come race day. I know that on my last long run, if I had to go another 6 miles, I felt that I could have kept the current pace up without a  significant drop off in pace. I can't say I have yet experienced 'the wall' in my long runs, although I may have hit something similar to it on my (16 miler -- January 12th). At this point in time I'm 6 weeks out. I feel that I'm where I need to be to make the Boston Qualifying Time of 3:15:59 and I'm looking for any advice on how to best utilize these last 6 weeks of training.

I'm not sure how this works exactly, as I've only replied to a post before, so my appologies if I don't need to state this, but my blog name is LakeAnnDandy. I would appreciate if anyone could look at my training log to date and offer adive on what to do with my last 6 weeks.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 10:40:22 am »

The biggest thing I would recommend is to maintain/increase your recent mileage.  In a marathon, you should ideally have months and months of decent mileage before the race.  I would recommend maintaining at least 40-50 miles per week, every week, if you can.  If you feel you can increase without risk of injury, maybe add 5 miles every other week or so.  Keep doing a long run (20 miles+) every other week, but get as much other mileage as you can, too.
I would envision something like this:
Week of Feb 25- 45-50 miles w/ 20 long
March 3- 45-50 miles w/ 16 long
March 10- 50-55 miles w/ 22 long
March 17- 55 miles w/ 18-20 long
March 24- slight taper 45 miles w/ 10-12 long (though easy)
March 31- taper- 15-25 miles plus marathon

Since you don't have a huge base recently and should be rested from you 25 days off, I would not recommend a big taper. 

One word of advice for your first marathon- it will be harder than you think.  Marathons are much harder than 20 mile training runs.  Training runs help prepare you, but mile 20-22 is usually where you start hitting physical barriers in a race that you don't encounter in training runs.  For the race, DO NOT go out too fast.  If anything, start slow.  Every second you go out fast in your first mile can add minutes at the end of the race.  Set a very steady pace (i.e. maybe 7:20's) and do not go faster.  You should feel relaxed for the first half of the race, at least.  You should be working hard, but not straining by any means.  Even if you feel great, don't consider picking up the pace until the last 6-10 miles.  In my opinion, the first 20 miles are warm-up, with the race starting at mile 20.  It is much, much better to feel good and be able to pick up the pace a bit for the last 10k than it is to hit the wall and slow down drastically. 

I would recommend reading some marathon race reports on the blog to get a feel for how the race changes after 20 miles (http://jon.fastrunningblog.com/blog-09-15-2007.html is my last marathon, also recommend http://paul.fastrunningblog.com/blog-10-06-2007.html, http://cody.fastrunningblog.com/blog-10-06-2007.html, http://arw.fastrunningblog.com/blog-09-15-2007.html).  You can learn a lot from other's experiences.  Paul, for example, had a great race and a negative split.  Adam and I both did NOT negative split and felt like crap by the end.  Adam felt good at 16, but bad by mile 19.  I just kept slowing down. 

Bottom line- get in consistent mileage and long runs for the next 6 weeks, and learn as much as you can about marathons to avoid blowing up.  BQ is a very good goal for your first marathon, nothing to be disappointed with.  Marathons are tricky races, which is why people can run 30 marathons over 10 years and still not have them figured out.  Don't try to do too much on your first one.  If you hit mile 20 and feel like you "are capable of more", then the last 6.2 miles is plenty of distance to work hard enough to get rid of that feeling.

Good luck- you'll love it and want to do more! 
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 11:03:58 am »

Jeff:
Somewhere deep down in you at one point there lived a 2:20 marathoner (or maybe faster, who knows). During the 15 year break some of that ability may or may not have been permanently damaged, but I think enough of it was left to run in the 2:40-2:45 range. So right now you are at least a 2:45 marathoner out of shape. Just about any training, even very sporadic, would get you to BQ. Which is why you feel you've got another 6 miles at 7:15 pace after running 20.

For the marathon, my suggestion is to start at 7:15 pace, and open up on the last 6 miles if you feel good. First marathon is particularly unforgiving of a fast start, you do not have much to gain, and you have a lot to lose.

For the training - I noticed you are skipping a lot of days. I recommend you start training consistently 6 days a week. Keep the runs short enough and easy enough to be able to recover and run the next day. I think you can do no less than 6 miles a day, and more on the days when you feel like it.
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 04:48:06 pm »

You can keep improving up until the marathon.  I think I improved within the last six weeks of my training.  You can check out my SG marathon for how lovely the last few miles can be (10/6/07).  I raced it rather more risky than Jon and Sasha are suggesting to you, and that is definitely a more conservative approach.  I agree with both Jon and Sasha's comments.
Jeff Linger

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 12:59:27 am »

Michelle that's an incredible 1st marathon. I noticed that your splits were somewhat up and down. Can anyone comment on how common this is for a 1st marathon, and if so, how do you bring the splits together more?
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 09:52:11 am »

With St. George, a lot of the up and down is due to the terrain- some big up and down hills.  On a flat course, even splits is ideal.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: