Fast Running Blog
March 29, 2024, 09:22:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Cottonwood?  (Read 7184 times)
Jeff Necessary
Lurker

« on: August 26, 2014, 12:45:54 pm »

I'll be doing my third Utah marathon in two weeks at Big Cottonwood, and figured somebody on FRB has run it and might have some tips. I've done TOU and St. George, so I know about downhill races, trashing your quads, etc. Thinking more about pacing, etc., and possibly weather (looks like maybe high 30s at the start, possibly high 60s at the finish).
Kam
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 11:39:30 am »

Your weather forecast looks spot on.  I haven't done Big Cottonwood, but since they changed the course (again) this year, nobody has done this specific route.

Miles 15-22.5 are flat/rollers.  Save yourself for this stretch.  It is pretty simple to fly down the canyon 1-2 minutes faster than your normal pace due to the downhill.  If you do, you'll pay for it in the end with trashed legs and no fuel.  Make the canyon miles seem relaxed and easy.   

Good luck on Saturday.  I hope you have a great race.  Maybe we'll run into each other.
Kam
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 11:41:30 am »

Check out this website for effort based mile splits based on the elevation change:

http://www.racesmartpacebands.com/PaceBands2.php?raceid=19
Jeff Necessary
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 05:50:32 pm »

Thanks, Kam. Was not aware this was a new course. I'd seen the pace bands but ya never know about those things... I've arrived in SLC now and about to go looking for something to eat (staying at West 600 South and Temple).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: