Fast Running Blog
April 29, 2024, 03:37:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Deseret News Half Marathon or Timpanogos Half?  (Read 6907 times)
Tara Summers
Lurker

« on: June 19, 2013, 02:55:46 pm »

I'm debating between racing Des News Half Marathon and Timp Half. I realize this is the inaugural year for Des News Half, but I assume there are other races very similar to that course. The drops are decent (1,600 for Des News and 1,970 for Timp). I've never ran a Deseret News race, so It might be fun to run along side some of the best in the state. I might have a better chance placing if I run Timp. Any thoughts on organization of races or which one you would pick?
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 08:16:00 pm »

i think timpanogos is the faster of the two races because of the steeper downhill grade in the canyon in the first half. but i think the second half of des news is probably a bit faster than the second half of timp, so maybe it evens out. either way, both are very fast courses.
i imagine the organization at des news will be great, seeing as they have done the marathon and 10k for so many years (although it did switch hands this year, and adding another race is always going to make things more complicated. i am confident they will do a good job though). the organization at timp was fine, as far as i remember. it was a newer race when i ran it in 2011, so i imagine they have only made it better.
a bonus with des news -- running along the parade route. it is crazy and fun -- lots of people to cheer you on, throw cracker jacks at you, etc.
i also think timpanogos will be harder on your body (i was too sore to run for 2 days after the race, which is pretty harsh for a half marathon). des news may give your quads a beating, but i think it will be more gentle on your body than timp.
edit: i'm now rethinking that last statement -- both courses are going to beat you up (in a fun way) ...and looking at the mile by mile breakdown, des news may actually be the harsher of the two. it appears everything i originally guessed and said was wrong. that is normal.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 10:51:35 am by allie » Logged
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 09:07:22 pm »

i put both courses up on the course tool page if you want to compare the average grades and play around with the splits.

according to the course tool, des news is the faster course. timp is faster in the middle miles, and at the end; des news starts out faster, but the finish is slower due to that mean, tiny grade on 900 east.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: