Fast Running Blog
March 28, 2024, 08:26:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Preparing for St. George  (Read 8203 times)
Wieser
Lurker

« on: May 03, 2013, 11:02:45 am »

I have a request for the Forum, as I need help in picking the right training strategy for the St. George marathon.

I am currently running 55 miles per week and going to increase it to 65 miles per week.  I am planning to do the Hanson workout plan starting in June, which basically consists of  6 days of running, tuesday speedwork, thursday MP run and Saturday long run (long runs never more than 20 - 25% of weekly mileage).

I know some of the peculiarities of St. G; 1 major hill (Veyo) and a lot of downhill passages with a decline up to 6%.
I heard unprepared it can be a fiasco.

so i have a couple of questions:

1. How to train for the downhill passages? I mean I live in Atlanta, there are hills but rarely longer than 1/2 - 1 mile and
    rarely more than a 2% incline/decline. I found one stretch of 1 mile (3 percent decline/incline) but nothing really longer than 1>
    mile; and not really 6% decline passages that last longer than a mile; I prefer not to run on a treadmill.
2. How much of downhill (up to 6%) and uphill training (up to 3.5%)  i should to train for per week.  Is it enough to include uphill and
    downhill training every other week in the long run; or should it be at least once a week or more twice a week?
3. How bad is the altitude for people living in low altitude? Is there any preparation necessary?

Thanks in advance! Smiley
Fritz
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 11:12:03 am by Wieser » Logged
Chad Robinson
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 11:24:49 am »

Look up seeaprilrun on the blog.  She lives in Kansas and had great success at St. George in 2011 (sub 3hr).  She had a lot of inventive workout to help train for downhill.
Wieser
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 07:39:25 pm »

Hi thanks for mentioning the blogname,
I was reading about Veyo - Kansas style; the strategy worked very well leading to a sub 3 marathon time. I am far from that but will try the same training method;  i guess i have to sign up for a gym; i wanted to avoid that.
Thanks again,
Fritz
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 08:23:29 pm by Wieser » Logged
Wieser
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 11:01:41 am »

Thanks to April,
I got very good advice l in terms of preparing for St. George for those who live in the humid flatlands at sea level (for me it is Atlanta).
Thanks,
Fritz
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: