Fast Running Blog
April 27, 2024, 05:42:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When to start training for a marathon (weight, pace, weekly mileage)?  (Read 2876 times)
Wieser
Lurker

« on: March 25, 2013, 01:59:01 pm »

At which point it is feasible for novice runners to start to train for a marathon while avoiding extreme pounding at the same time?

Is the calculated marathon pace the deciding factor (e.g. 8min per mile)?

Is there a factor such as weight in relation to height (and frame) that plays a role in the decision when to start to train for a marathon?

Or is it mileage per week somebody can ran w/o injury that is the deciding factor?

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Fritz
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 02:49:55 pm by Wieser » Logged
Rob Murphy
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 05:41:07 pm »

I began running in 1977 so I think I qualify as "not a novice".

I ran my first marathon in 1987. My second in 1996. I've averaged about one a year since then.

The best advice I could give you if you want to make this a long term pursuit is to focus on becoming a runner first and only then should you make the marathon your focus. Train consistently for a period of years - not weeks or months. Run a lot of races from 400s at the local all-comers track meet durning the summer months, to 5 and 10k's.

I see so many people enter this sport with the goal of completing a marathon right off the bat. It's funny because the marathon used to be considered a pretty advanced activity. It is possible, with several months of dedication and focus, to complete a marathon as a novice, but why? Be patient, allow your aerobic fitness to grow gradually with consistent training, become race hardened and disciplined in shorter races first.

Good luck.
Wieser
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 07:37:49 pm »

Thanks for the humbling post.

I am running currently 40 miles per week and have optimal 2 quality workouts and once in a while race.
I have started running last April/2012.  I am fairly new; however i played soccer my whole life.

Thanks for reinforcing to take it slowly; i will!
Fritz
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: