Fast Running Blog
April 27, 2024, 01:06:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-marathon Massage  (Read 3103 times)
Jason Dodge
Lurker

« on: October 18, 2012, 12:50:38 pm »

Folks have any thoughts on pre-marathon massages? Are they helpful? When do you time them in relation to your race? What kind do you get or prefer? Any other thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Cheers,
Jason
Toby Barlow
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 02:30:11 pm »

I usually get a massage the day before a big race.  I'm usually nervous and stiff and it helps loosen things up.  My massage therapist know to be gentle and to not do it too hard.  Plus I always drink a lot of water after a massage and that definitely helps hydrate for the race and flush out lactic acid.  Then I usually get another one a few days after the race and that is more of a deep tissue/sports. 

I would "practice" getting one before a "not-so-big" race to see how your body responds. 
Jason Dodge
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 03:58:50 pm »

Thanks for your response. I did it a bit early just in case. I won't be doing anything crazy in the next 8 days and I didn't dare put it any closer to my marathon. All the same, I think I'll try the practice suggestion when I have a less important race.
Jay Combs
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 01:35:25 pm »

I had a deep tissue massage yesterday. No residual pain from the massage. I had to do it because the back of my knee feels like the tendons are not releasing, and it is painful to extend the knee. I have a marathon this weekend, and I am basically resting the rest of the week.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: