Fast Running Blog
April 27, 2024, 04:10:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: question for a physical therapist/sports therapist  (Read 3596 times)
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« on: January 11, 2008, 11:00:02 am »

I am in the process of rehabbing what I believe to be hamstring origin tendonitis. This is inflammation of the hamstring where it connects to the ischium (my rear end). I am taking some time off and am focusing on improving my flexibility and strength in order to make sure this doesn't come back once I get healthy.

In particular, what strength exercises are best to do for this injury? I've got therabands and a stability ball at home to use as tools, and also have a gym membership (and therefore a full weight room) at my disposal. I had a groin strain last year, so am very familiar with using the hip sled, 4-way hip machine, adductors/abductors, and other weight machines. However, some direction on what to focus on and what machines to use would be helpful, as would any theraband exercises.

Thanks.
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 04:03:57 pm »

As long as you are on the down low I would try some serious power (ashtanga) yoga.  This is a yoga that is geared more towards runners it combinds stretching and strength.  Just make sure you get a good teacher who really knows what they are doing. 
just my two cent:)
dave elger
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 02:19:24 pm »

Paul- I would try to strengthen the hamstrings using eccentric exercises-  http://weighttraining.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=weighttraining&cdn=health&tm=50&gps=263_965_1009_538&f=00&su=p726.2.152.ip_p284.8.150.ip_&tt=2&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.kvusa.com/wl/floorghr.htm
Sirenesque
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 07:52:59 pm »

I would tend to disagree with doing eccentric strength work at this time.  Eccentric work tends to put a tremendous amount of stress not only on the belly of the muscle, but also on the origin and insertions.  The particular exercise shown is extremely difficult and not one that I would attempt with a compromised hamstring.  More passive strength work including range of motion exercises would probably be most beneficial.  I agree that yoga may be a good start and then working in with some pysio-ball exercises - hamstring roll-ups and maybe active bridge hip extensions as the leg starts to feel better.  Any strengthening around the pelvis and core will be beneficial.  Deep tissue massage is also a must, making sure the therapist is getting deep enough to hit the hamstring origins - not easy to do!  Good Luck!!
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 08:19:35 am »

Deep tissue massage is also a must, making sure the therapist is getting deep enough to hit the hamstring origins - not easy to do! 

Agreed on the massage. My LMT was surprised I let her get that deep. It's kind of a precarious spot! But it definitely helped early on. I haven't gotten one recently.

Right now I am seeing a PT once a week. He is having me do hamstring rolls on a stability ball, 4-way hip using a theraband, downward-facing leg lifts, and "walking" while sitting on a rolling chair (fairly tiring). Also, stretching the hamstrings and hips/glutes a lot. He does ultrasound every session too. At home I do a lot of core work, along with the theraband, ball, and stretching activities.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: