Fast Running Blog
April 27, 2024, 12:09:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to run faster  (Read 5780 times)
Paul Leafgreen
Lurker

« on: August 11, 2012, 08:00:43 pm »

I am a big runner (6'3", 260).  I started running May 2011, and I currently run miles that average 11-12 minutes each.  I am trying to run faster, get the miles under 10 minutes for the forseeable future.  I run 5 or 6 times a week.  I usually run on a track, but this week I added a loop around my house that includes some hills.  It seems like my speed remains constant.  I have to really push myself to get to a 10 minute mile, and then I can only do 1, instead of being able to run 6 or 7 without stopping. 
Any suggestions?

I generally run by myself, but I've recently thought about joing the local running club.  It's not really my thing, but it will probably help.
Rob Murphy
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 01:23:22 pm »

Hey Paul. You said you weigh 260. What was your weight when you started? Are you still losing weight?
Paul Leafgreen
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 03:07:22 pm »

When I started running, I was 295.  I actually got down to about 245 at the time of my marathon last year, but I took 4 months off and didn't do much.  I started the summer about 272, and it's slowly creeping back down.
Preston
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 07:10:27 pm »

I am in no way an expert runner, but I think I know a bit about what you are going through.  I started running February of 2011 and weighed 290. My biggest advice as a big runner is to be consistent with your workouts.  As you build up your aerobic base you will naturally get faster, because you are in better shape and because you will continually get faster with weight loss.  I would suggest to get your speed up you should keep pushing the pace, twice a week try and run @ a 10 min pace for as long as you can.  As you continue pushing it you will eventually find yourself running that pace comfortably.  WHEN that happens pick a new faster pace, and do the same thing.  If you feel like you are plateauing just be patient, and you will eventually make the jump (this has happened to me several times).

I know it doesn't sound like much, but it is what I did when I first started.  I now weigh 195 and have gone from an almost 5 hr marathon time to having my next marathon goal being 3:20, and that is definitely attainable.  If you keep working, and staying consistent you will see similar results.
Paul Leafgreen
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 10:49:58 pm »

Preston, thanks for the reply.  It's inspiring seeing someone who was in the same boat as me, and is now where I want to be.  It shows me that it can be done.  I will heed your sound advice.  I'm starting to be able to run longer periods without breaks.  For a long time I would stop or walk for a bit every mile or so.  But I think it was mostly mental, I felt I couldn't go on.  Last night I ran 11.5 miles without stopping or walking, which I've never made it that far continuously.  I've always had to stop or walk for awhile, at least by the 5 mile mark.
Preston
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 10:45:31 pm »

Glad I could help! Keep working consistently and you will surprise yourself!
Penny Abdiel
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 10:02:12 am »

Hi Paul!

I just wanted to add a word of caution here. I am not in your size category (I am 5"3!) but I think the principal holds true for most. When you begin running, often your aerobic fitness comes along quicker than your musculoskeletal strength. For that reason, it can be tempting to run more and more as you get fitter, but before your body is truly ready. This puts you at risk of injury. And given that you're a taller guy, you are putting a lot of weight and stress on each step, which means the risk of injury is even greater.

So I would think about adding one or two non/low impact cross training sessions to your week as you are building up your speed and mileage. I love the elliptical or bike, and I use a heart rate monitor to ensure that I'm getting my heart rate up high enough (otherwise I tend to slack off  Grin)

Finally, I don't think walk breaks are a bad thing, particularly on long runs (like that impressive 11-miler you just did!). Jeff Galloway makes a great case for the run-walk method. I would just limit your time walking to maybe 20 seconds and then commit to running another mile or two before you walk again. Pretty soon you won't ever want to stop for a walk!

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Penny
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 12:26:46 pm »

Paul:

I think if 10:00 is a struggle for you, walking breaks are necessary. It is better to run some at 10:00 and walk some to recover than to run 12:00 non-stop. Once you are out of that zone, and let's say can run 10:00 without walking breaks, and 8:30 with them, then you should run 10:00 without walking breaks.

At this point I would also avoid marathons and even half marathons. Focus on the 5 K instead until you can run it in at least 25:00. Then shift your focus to the 10 K and longer distances later as the fitness increases.  Otherwise I think you learn something very counterproductive - how to slog a marathon. If you program into your memory that marathon is a slog, it is very difficult to reprogram it. So instead we just focus on running your true marathon pace for shorter distances and gradually extend them as your fitness increases.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: