Fast Running Blog
April 28, 2024, 01:36:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hobie Call and the 2 hour marathon?  (Read 14680 times)
TrophyHunter
Lurker

« on: June 14, 2012, 04:20:17 pm »

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/multisport/adventure-racing/Obstacle-Force.html?page=all

Guy is talented, but overestimates how far hard work / proper rest can get you.

Please discuss.
Jake Krong
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 08:09:30 pm »

Its one thing to have big dreams, its another to made ridiculous proclamations for attention. I definitely have a TON of respect for what Hobie has accomplished (his 2:16 @ TOU is extremely impressive), but if I told everyone that I could run 12:20 for 5K if I didn't have to work, everyone would tell me to shut up, and they would be right.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 08:19:30 am »

Maybe he is just rounding down. A 2:15 marathon is "about" 2 hours.
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 12:45:12 pm »

I think he got himself confused with Kenenisa Bekele when he made that statement.
Neil Price
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 09:13:02 pm »

I applaud Mr. Call's boldness. In that same vein, I'm going to declare here and now that I could beat Kobayashi if I had surgery to remove my gag reflex.
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 10:29:45 pm »

Well, it would make a story that would be told from running geek to running-geek-spawn for generations.  It would be a fairy-tale type happy ending for a middle-aged runner.  I wish him the best, and I understand that he is seeking sponsors, so of course he would be laying forth the best-case scenario.  However, he is so fast already, shaving off 16 minutes in 1 1/2 to 2 years would be quite the feat. 
Craig Green
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 09:25:26 am »

I think he's lost it: http://news.runnersworld.com/2012/07/09/hobie-call-would-be-sub-200-marathoner/
Neil Price
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 02:14:22 pm »

That exchange is actually quite humorous. I've represented sociopaths less self-absorbed and with more self-awareness than Mr. Call.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 03:00:09 pm »

That exchange is actually quite humorous. I've represented sociopaths less self-absorbed and with more self-awareness than Mr. Call.

It was kind of like a Saturday Night Like skit. Just kept going and going with the same joke...
Neil Price
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 03:31:14 pm »

It was kind of like a Saturday Night Like skit. Just kept going and going with the same joke...

Haha. From now on he shall be known as 'The Unfrozen Caveman Runner.' Can I run a sub 2hr marathon simply by training w/ a weighted vest? I don't know all about your fancy scientific concepts of exercise physiology, I'm just a Caveman.  Grin

Jake Krong
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 04:22:59 pm »

Abdi Abdirahman had a great series of posts on twitter earlier...

Had great work out this morning, know its time to nap before the next run

By the way did my workout with 50bound vest. Step your game up.

Aside from his spelling/grammar, I found that pretty amusing.
Rob Murphy
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 04:30:47 pm »

Ahhh... the like of the professional runner. And the school teacher runner.

Run, nap, eat, run, nap, eat....
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 02:39:43 pm by Rob Murphy » Logged
Jesse
Lurker

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 12:47:07 pm »

It takes guts to push yourself and run hard. Hobie, I love your spirit, but I think your craziness is trumping your clarity. Keep on running and keep up the crazy speed.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 01:27:29 pm »

Perhaps Hobie's approach has tactical errors, but it is correct from the point of the overall vision. Here is what he's got right:

- Do not limit yourself by your perception of reality when you set goals. Thus a sub-2:00 marathon goal when his best is only 2:16.
- Recognize that if you want to achieve something that has not been achieved before you need to do something that has not been done before.

Hobie's weakness is the inability to carry out the vision one step at a time, which is why he has not yet broken 2:10, nothing to say about 2:00. BTW, his goal is not any crazier than mine. I am almost 40, my PR is 2:23:57 in St. George, I have not set a PR in 5 years, I have a speed-crippling spina bifida occulta which is currently incurable, and yet I still have 2:08 marathon as my long term goal on the blog. Why? Because I do not believe in artificial faithless limits. I set my sights forward to break the wall of unbelief and chisel at it one stone at a time. It took a number of wall breaking steps to get my current PRs, and I would not have gotten them had I chosen a limit-based approach.

Here is what 99% or more of the runners miss. They set limits for themselves. They keep talking about how fast they will never be able to run. They worry too much about the statistical improbability of being able to run at the speed of 120mph for 26 miles. I see many marathoners who I know can run 2:40 that are doubting they could ever qualify for Boston. When you get them to believe that enough to do what it takes for long enough they do run 2:40 or faster.

We can learn from Paula Radcliffe. They asked her what she thought her limit was. She said she did not like to set limits. The reported probed and said - do you think it is 2:10? Now I am sure that she knew that in order to run 2:10 she would need a sub-29:00 10 K, therefore sub-14:00 5K, something that when put in those terms sounded completely hopeless for her. So yes, 2:10 sounded like a very safe upper bound of her life-time achievement. But she still responded that she did not like to set limits. Why? See above. A faithless limit takes you nowhere. Speculating about what you cannot achieve does not lead to achievement. Set your sights forward with faith and do what it takes to move ahead.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: