Fast Running Blog
March 28, 2024, 03:48:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Feedback wanted - BQ attempt in late May  (Read 9278 times)
Jon Schap
Lurker

« on: February 02, 2012, 10:52:55 am »

I am pretty new to the blog and this is my first post on the forums.  I am looking for some feedback in regards to a BQ attempt (3:05:00) I will make on 5/20/12.  Please check my blog for lists of PRs and detail on my recent runs.  I am pretty closely following the 55 to 70 mile per week training schedule from the book Advanced Marathoning (currently in week 3 of training).

I know I need to make some significant improvements in my times over the next four months and I am wondering if I am reaching to far for a BQ goal.  My wife will be expecting our first child in July and I don't know if I will be able to devote as much time to training in future marathons once the child is here, so I am going all out for this one.

This will be my 3rd marathon and I have been running consistantly for about 3 years.  In past training for marathons, I have never trained more than 50 miles a week or more than 5 days per week, but over the last few months, I have gradually been increasing my weekly base and now feel comfortable running 6 days per week.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 08:23:19 pm »

Hey Jon- is your blog private?  I'm trying to go to the js site, and it doesn't work.  We can give you a lot better advice if we can look at your blog for history.
Jon Schap
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 10:55:25 am »

Thanks Jon.  The blog is set up for public view.  I changed the url name the other day and I am afraid that may be causing the issue.
Jon Schap
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 11:08:11 am »

It looks like it is viewable now.  Let me know if you still cannot view it.
Jake Krong
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 11:27:49 am »

You'll definitely see some gains from getting in that extra volume as long as you are staying healthy. It looks like your tempo run the other day was at a faster pace than some of your PRs at shorter distances, so your fitness is probably already at a better place than it has been in the past.

What have you got to lose by going for it? Maybe its a reach right now - but if you can hit that 1:30 goal at the DC half, then you definitely have a shot. Then you'll have 2 more months to translate that into an even better marathon.

I say go for it. You never know what you are capable of until you give it a shot.
Jon Schap
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 10:25:07 am »

Thanks for the encouragement Jake.  I feel like my fitness has improved since my races last year and I have also lost some weight which I think has helped.  The DC Half will be a true test to see where I am at from a fitness level and I am really looking forward to it.  I will keep you posted with my results.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 06:11:55 pm »

Jon-

Long tempos are definitely helpful.  Good luck with the DC half- I would suggest going into it slightly fatigued rather than tapered (i.e. go slightly higher mileage than usual 2-3 days that week, then very short the last few days pre-race) as a better marathon simulator and to keep your expectations slightly more reasonable Smiley

Good luck!  Work hard and get your goals. 
Jon Schap
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 05:04:04 pm »

So my time at Pocono was 3:25.  I gave a detailed race report that you can view on my page.  In short, I kept the BQ pace for about 10 miles then things went downhill due to a lack of a larger mileage base I believe.  Looking back, my avg mpw was probably in the mid 30s running 4-5 days per week.  I have signed up for the Philly marathon in mid November.  I plan to still run 5 days per week for this one but plan to have avg mpw around 50-55.  I don't want to set unrealistic expectations to run more than that as I will be a new dad in Jul-Aug.  Assuming i can safely increase my base and nail my key workouts each week, how much more time do you think I can shave off my PR?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: