Fast Running Blog
April 27, 2024, 01:31:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the Des 10K worth it?  (Read 17694 times)
Adam R Wende
Frequently Posting Member

« on: July 21, 2011, 09:19:38 am »

I want to vent about the registration costs for the Des 10K.
Does it seem reasonable to anyone on this site that they should charge $38 normal $40 expo day for a 10K?
I have not organized a race before but this seems ridiculous to me. Particularly considering this is not a charity run that I can tell...
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:03:09 am »

it's hard to find a race that isn't outrageously expensive. i am still recovering from the $55 entry fee i paid to run the layton 5k last year. yes, 5k. i am not sure if races are charging so much because the costs of holding a race have increased, or if it is just because they can charge that much because people are willing to pay. i have run quite a few 5k's in the past year and $25-$30 entry fees are typical (except for those rare gems such as the $1 tremonton turkey trot). i would agree that $40 for a 10k is expensive, possibly even unreasonably expensive, but it doesn't stand out to me as costing any more than other races around here.
Adam R Wende

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 10:14:15 am »

I was afraid I was just being cheap. I would like to race more often and if you figure dinner out is often in that range it is reasonable, similar time spent at the even as a dinner etc... I guess I have until Saturday to finalize my decision but at this point not being in 100% racing shape I just don't know. But I would like to hear additional thoughts on this.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:15:59 am by Adam R Wende » Logged
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 11:18:28 am »

Can you imagine if Apple put on road races? Or someone else who actually knows how to make money?

Races are just now starting to get to their market value, which is based on demand. Races have been undervalued for many years, costs purposely kept low by race directors figuring that runners would not want to pay more. Race directors are now finding otherwise, and races are still selling out despite entry fees going up.

Jake Krong
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 11:32:57 am »

There was an article in Runners World recently that broke down the "average" marathon and the cost breakdown of how your entry fees are distributed. Its interesting, but I can't seem to find a link to it online right now. Check that out if you get a chance.

They specifically talked about the NYC Marathon, and how despite it being $150 (or more, I can't remember)... the NYRRC could easily bump the price up another $50 and still sell out the race w/ no problem. There is a high demand out there. Look at all these mud-run events that charge like $75... there are hundreds of them now!

$40 is tough to swallow for a 10K, but considering there are 5Ks that cost almost as much and are not nearly as competitive, its probably a fair value for Des News.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 12:19:25 pm »

This is a pretty good article that addresses the topic, interview with the director of the Green Bay Marathon (who incidentally I have worked with quite a bit over the years):

http://www.runcolo.com/content/interview-sean-ryan-race-director-green-bay-marathon-547/

I think he tells it how it is.
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 01:24:51 pm »

Interesting article, Paul.

I can understand that some races are intended to be "experiences" rather than just foot races. It seems OK to have high entry fees to support that kind of race, as long as people are willing to pay. I just hope there will be continue to be some races that are designed more for "hard core" runners who are looking for well-run races without the unnecessary extras (which include prize money, in my opinion) and with low entry fees. Even though some would disagree, I think such races can still be financially sound and grow to be large (if that is desired).
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 01:34:03 pm »

I think if people show that they want it, then it will happen. Right now, people are wanting to shell out bucks for big party races. And the market is responding to that demand. I'm not saying it's good or bad, it just is.

I think there will always be grassroots in running, though. The half marathon I did last Saturday was $35, and it was a nice race. This Saturday there is a $10 race in North Logan. There's literally dozens of races every weekend. Choose the ones that reflect your values and you want to have your money.
Adam R Wende

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 01:53:01 pm »

That's why I wanted to hear your feedback. Thank you.
Part of my problem is having been used to the $10 and $20 entry fees.
But it is also a matter of support. If I agree that racing (these races in particular) are a good thing for the community, I should support the capitalist way and match the supply and demand mind set. I agree that the race is good. It is a fast course with some of the best competition. It has to be the deepest race in the state. So by those standards we are actually getting a deal.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 07:55:00 pm »

It's cheaper than the big 10k in Colorado, the Bolder Boulder, where the cheapest option is $46.
http://www.bolderboulder.com/Register/Race_Package_Options.htm?

But yes, it all comes down to demand.  As long as people will pay it, they will charge it.  So it's just deciding if that much money is worth it to run in the most competitive race in Utah. 

What I could never comprehend is the people who race every weekend.  Not even looking at how that would mess up my training, I would never pay that many race entry fees.

If it makes you feel better, Adam, I have vented about this recently, too http://greenshortsrunning.blogspot.com/2011/01/thoughts-on-race-entry-fees_27.html.  And so did Predog http://runningfreeandeasy.blogspot.com/2011/07/costs-of-racing-whats-fair-race-fee.html.
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 07:58:36 pm »

But it is also a matter of support. If I agree that racing (these races in particular) are a good thing for the community, I should support the capitalist way and match the supply and demand mind set. I agree that the race is good. It is a fast course with some of the best competition. It has to be the deepest race in the state. So by those standards we are actually getting a deal.

i agree that it is a matter of support. i will pay for the races that i want to support, even if at times the price seems a bit steep. i personally like to support the tiny 5ks, and they are usually reasonably priced. however, there are times when i am looking for something specific in a race, such as a great course, competition or some other quirk like chasing a man dressed up as a thin mint girl scout cookie. i am willing to pay for those events if i feel the benefits outweigh the costs (my lame attempt at keeping with the economics theme). it just all depends on what you want to get out of the race (exercise, PR, trophies, a party, free bread, t-shirt, etc.)  

des news is one of the races that i love to support each year (particularly the less-than-popular marathon). they keep the races simple and put the money back into the event with their prize money, which draws in more competition. (i think of bit of it also goes to providing the marathoners with a fancy charter bus ride to the top of big mountain Smiley). incidentally, the marathon is actually one of the most affordable ones in the state at $65 ($75 at the expo).

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 08:09:59 pm by Allie » Logged
Adam R Wende

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 08:31:29 pm »

Jon, It does help. I agree with the limit and that is why $4/k seems steep to me. Especially since there isn't anything special about the race, no bands etc. Unless you count the stretch where the overweight parade viewers get to heckle you at mile 5. But I think I've talk myself into it for the competition.

Allie, I do agree with you as well that it is worth it to just go out and have fun. The marathon costs really don't start to add up until you calculate in flights and hotels if you have to travel. But I'll still shell out >$100+ to run in Chicago for my hometown sentiment. Though I wouldn't want to chase the man as a cookie I have considered running with the giants and my grandfather sent me a link to a marathon in France that stops at all the wineries in the area. But at least the latter (and those mud races) are events not runs. I also bet the 10K price is a bit cheaper to cover the higher costs of the marathon so from that perspective I don't mind doing my part either.
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 11:42:05 pm »

This is a side note, and you guys/gals probably already pointed this out, but it's interesting that this year DesNews is only paying prize money to locals and those who attended school here. Seems good that if they are paying prize money that it would go back to local runners, rather than have people from out of state/country swoop in to grab the money and leave. But of course, the winning times will probably be slower.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 08:31:16 am »

Steve P - I did not know that. I think that's great, although comp will suffer a bit. That said, Utah has enough great runners to still make it a great race.

Adam R Wende

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 08:40:41 am »

Paul, Speaking of Utah and great runners. Are you coming down on Monday?
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: