Fast Running Blog
April 29, 2024, 07:34:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: MEN: Chafing and soreness between the legs from summer running  (Read 16617 times)
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« on: July 29, 2010, 11:39:06 am »

I have never dealt with these types of injuries in nearly a decade of running, however I have been dealing with uncomfortable chafing on my privates during summer running. I am wearing the same shorts I always have, however my theory is this:

I sweat an awful lot, close to 1.5 L an hour I have determined. When I run outside or on the treadmill even if wearing a synthetic shirt, within about 30:00 to 35:00 my shirt is soaked and after this, my shorts become soaked in sweat through osmosis or some other understandable scientific phenomenon. After I get wet shorts the chafing begins (at least I think). I never have this issue in fall, winter, spring. I used to run in Underarmour Heat Gear and never had this issue, so I picked more up today.

Some things to know, my weight is up (208lbs now), my legs are more muscular then they ever have been before, and prior treatments I have used to limited success:

1. Body Glide and Vaseline between legs
2. Bandaid and Desitin placed over most painful area of privates
3. Bacitracin

What can I do? It makes it uncomfortable to walk and participate in anything but a slow shuffle lately.
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 12:47:08 pm »

I have had great success with BodyGlide, maybe just put on a heavier application.   I don't know what kind of shorts you are running in, but maybe shorter ones would lessen the amount of material there to cause the chafing.
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 12:55:30 pm »

Compression shorts can help with this too if you don't mind the way they feel. You can just wear them under your regular running shorts OR if you're daring you can run in just the compressions shorts (I'm not that "daring" myself).
Mike Davis
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 01:07:49 pm »

Try some boxerbrief synthetic fabric underwear, the stretchy kind that fit tight. Target sells some Champion brand for about $5.
I don't know what you're wearing now, but cotton is the enemy.

-Mike

Running without hills is like motorcycling without corners.
Jeff Linger

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 01:31:34 pm »

To help you we basically need to know what shorts you're wearing. See if you can find a pic of them from the net and post it. I do not recommend wearing any form of underwear under the shorts as most, except the ones mentioned, are made of cotton. Get a pair of running shorts with a built in liner made of an appropriate material and combine this with body glide. Here's an article on picking out a pair of running shorts.

http://www.marathontraining.com/articles/art_29th.htm
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 02:50:57 pm »

hey guys thanks for the prompt replies. here's a link to the shorts I run in now:

http://www.amazon.com/NIKE-MENS-SPLIT-SHORT-X-LARGE/dp/B002NCX7HQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1280436476&sr=8-1

They are Nike long distance running shorts with 2-3" inseams and then a split outside.

Currently I have been wearing UnderArmour 7" HeatGear spandex and I just bought a pair of 6" Reebok compression shorts today which seem to fit less snuggly then the underarmour despite buying a size down.

Does this help??
Jeff Linger

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 03:38:39 pm »

Do those shorts have a built in liner? If so, try skipping the other stuff and use just the liner with body glide. During the summer I rotate through about 4-5 pairs of shorts and hang them on the line in the basement to dry. I use each pair about 2-3 times before washing so that I'm not wearing them out with too much washing. I end up doing wash about once every 2 weeks and I'm going about 4-5 days between each individual pair's use.
David S
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 01:52:30 pm »

I agree with Jeff all except that washing bit :-)  I will wash them out in the shower though and hand dry them only so I don't have to keep the washer going all the time. 

All I have ever used is a heavy application of body glide and normal running shorts with the built-in liner. I can't imagine wearing any other under garment, especially in this heat, but that is just me. It will just bunch up and probably cause more issues.  If I don't use the body glide on my long runs I can definitely feel the burn afterward. 

Maybe it is the combination of body glide and Vaseline that you are using - the Vaseline could be breaking the body glide down.
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 06:29:08 pm »

I wore three layers today and it seemed at first to hurt less.. i wore boxers, the underarmour spandex compression shorts, and then the shorts with the built in liner.

It is really embarrassing, but the parts that are hurting the most lately of the twig 'n' berry trio is the tip of the twig (about 1-2"), and my groin area which lately has had intense red sores that hurt to the touch. I tried putting Desitin on them but it doesn't seem to help.

I had my thyroid checked before but they didn't find anything.

To put my sweating into perspective.. I regularly lose 5-7 pounds per hour of running if I do not hydrate, and about 3-4 if I do hydrate. I drank 3 x 24 oz bottles of water today during and after my 6 mile run. I am frustrated. I have never had this problem before. I wonder if its because of my weight.. I am the heaviest I've ever been. I haven't gained fat per say but I've gained a heck of a lot of leg muscle in the last two years.
Jeff Linger

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 12:36:22 pm »

Benn, the boxers were probably a killer. I'm thinking you need to pick either the shorts with liner or go with a pair of bike shorts, but nothing else. Every time you have a layer you introduce a place for chaffing to occur. The layer gets wet, then it gets heavy and sticks and creates friction. The more potential the material has to retain water, the greater chance for chafing. Something has to give and when its your leg v. material, your leg loses. Chaffing occurs when 2 surfaces come into contact with each other. The more surfaces you introduce, the higher the probability for chafing.

This might be helpful http://www.ultrunr.com/chafing-crotch.html

http://running.about.com/od/commonrunninginjuries/p/chafing.htm

http://www.time-to-run.com/tips/chafing.htm
jtshad

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 02:17:08 pm »

I agree with Jeff, you have just got too much stuff going on down there.  Minimize, that is what the running shorts with liners were made for.  Shorts and BodyGlide (heavy) really should do the job.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 04:32:15 pm »

Boxers chaff the *&^ out of me. Shorts with liners and nothing else is the only way to go.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 04:34:28 pm »

You could always just go in the buff  Grin
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 03:16:26 am »

Thanks guys for all the help (and thanks Jon for making me nearly spit my coffee up onto my work laptop!). I may try to go back to just the shorts.

What is "heavy body glide" .. is that application wise? I have the stick of it that looks like a deodorant but I don't think I get equal coverage. Do they make a gel applicator or something that I can rub on?

I know that this is an abnormality as far as heat/humidity. They said we normally have 4 days of 90+ degree days during the summer. This year we've had 11, and nearly 12 yesterday with a high of 89!
Jeff Linger

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 02:40:22 pm »

Yes, heavy refers to the application amount, but, if it takes more than 30 seconds to apply you might give some people the wrong idea about what you're doing.  Grin
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: