Fast Running Blog
April 20, 2024, 02:09:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Burning" Sensation at the Base of My Toes  (Read 4877 times)
Chelsi
Lurker

« on: July 01, 2010, 01:03:19 pm »

I have always struggled with a bit of a burning sensation right at the base of my toes, in the center of the pad of my foot when running in the heat. Generally, the longer the distance I work up to, the later the burning hits. This summer, the pain is mostly isolated to my left foot for most of the run. It hits early and sticks with me the rest of my run. I can press on that area of my foot after running and it feels like I need a good foot rub. Today, it still hurts a bit, even 5 hours after the run is over. It kind of feels like a pinched nerve, but I really don't know for sure what's going on. Anyone experience the same sort of thing? Is this something I could fix? Something I should be concerned about? Or do I just deal with it during the summer?
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 01:06:20 pm »

Do a google search on "morton's neuroma" and see if the description matches the location and sensation you are feeling.
Chelsi
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 01:15:51 pm »

That sounds a lot like it in the early stages, except for it being between the 3rd and 4th toes. Mine seems to be centered between the 2nd and 3rd, but one site suggested that happens rarely. I'll have to keep an eye on it. Thanks for the feedback!
Chelsi
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 09:58:49 am »

Okay, now I'm hoping others might have some input on some ways to treat/care for this while training. Anyone who has experienced it and found a way to manage it? Any helpful tips and info would be greatly appreciated!
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 12:31:06 pm »

Have you had it diagnosed? That is definitely Step 1. See a podiatrist. The podiatrist will then make a diagnosis and begin appropriate treatment. If it is a morton's neuroma, there are several treatment options.
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 11:40:42 am »

I've had this problem, but not to the extent you are experiencing (feeling it for hours after a run).  I get "hot foot" whenever I start up running after a layoff and it sticks around for about 3-4 weeks.  I continue to run and massage then stretch my foot in my spare time.  I also made sure that my forefoot was not being cramped into my shoe and had wiggle room.  I didn't change my training nor go to the doc because I made progress on my own.  You'll want to rule out a stress fracture, but that might become apparent while massaging.
Chelsi
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 04:20:10 pm »

It definitely feels better after I massage it. I've never had a stress fracture before, so I can't rely on personal experience to know what that would feel like; but, it hasn't gotten to a level that I impedes anything I do after running. I'm sure the wise thing would be to visit a doctor and just get it checked out to be sure, but so many of them seem to be on a quest to get everyone to stop running. Smiley I don't want to be told that unless that's really the only way to keep my feet/body healthy. I need to find someone in the St. George area, I guess, who is a podiatrist and a runner. They would understand.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: