Fast Running Blog
April 19, 2024, 05:48:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Weak Legs? Fitness?  (Read 2866 times)
Scott
Lurker

« on: March 29, 2010, 07:36:07 am »

I have been training for a marathon in May (6 weeks left).

Approximately 2-3 weeks ago, both of my legs started hurting real bad.  The affected area was in the calf, outer section (again, both legs).

I got new shoes as I had about 600 miles on my previous pair.  I also cut down on my mileage for a week (17 miles). 

The pain is lingering, but I feel I am getting progressively better.  I have upped my mileage and, again, the pain is not getting worse, but I seem to be working through it.  I know that's probably not the recommended course of action, but I had to drop out of this same marathon last year. 

My main issue is that I can't seem to run at a decent pace (for me) any longer.  Previously, if I went out for a run, I would run at about at 7:30 pace (+/-).  This was a comfortable pace and I didn't feel like I was pushing it, but getting a good solid workout.  This is also my goal marathon pace (for BQ). 

I now seem to struggle with an 8:00 - 8:30 pace.  It seems like I'm working extremely hard and I'm very tired.  My 8:00 pace (now) feels like a 6:50 pace before my 'injury'.

I'd assume the best course of action is to continue to take care of my legs (I do compression, ice, elevation, massage -- rest when I can) and try to work back into a strong pace slowly.  I have NOT done any speed work or hills, but have ran simply to maintain my base.  I have paced myself to what I think my body can handle.  Of course, I'd like to get back to where I was as I think I had a shot of BQ'ing. 

Is there a way to (progressively) jumpstart my pace back to "normal" while keeping my improving injury in check?  Can this be done in 6 weeks?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 07:42:19 am by Scott » Logged
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 12:38:12 pm »

Scott:

I took a look at your training. My feeling is that nothing miraculous is likely to happen in the next 6 weeks no matter what you do. I would recommend to continue your regular training with plans for a fall marathon, and treat this one as a long run. Start at 8:15 pace, run the last 6 at 7:30 if you feel strong, jog in otherwise. This will help you get the feel for running a marathon in a race without destroying your body and will help reach BQ in the fall.

Regarding your training I noticed a few things that would be good to change. One - too much treadmill running. Get outside when you can. When you run on a treadmill you learn treadmill running. When you get outside, your body is tempted to run with treadmill form, and it could cause an injury. Also, too much track running. For a runner who is already struggling with form, the imbalances from track running could very well be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I also noticed a pattern that you keep trying to test the limits of your fitness and prove something in your workouts several times a week. It is a good idea to test yourself once every two-three weeks in a minimally invasive workout. But something like an 18 mile run at a pace that you have not yet been able to hold in a race for the marathon distance is very invasive. A good test for you would be something like 3 miles at 6:50 pace and then run the last one quick. The pace in the last mile would show how easy 6:50 pace was for you earlier. Then every two weeks you can monitor your progress by the speed of the last mile.

Overall, between now and the fall I would recommend something like this. Your normal daily run should be 8 miles at around 8:30 pace, but no shame if you have to run 9:00 or even 9:30. Just run naturally and let the run happen. If you feel energetic with 1 mile to go run the last mile in 7:00-7:30. If you feel you need to release some pent-up energy midrun, do a couple of light 15-20 second strides at around 6:00 pace. For your long run go 16 at around 8:00-8:30 pace with the last 3 progressively faster - something like 7:30, 7:15, 7:00. Maybe once every two weeks do the 4 mile time trial with the first 3 at 6:50 pace, and the last mile as fast as you can. Do it around two days prior to the long run, a little earlier is OK.

When you crack 6:35 mile in the last mile of your time trial, increase the daily mileage to 9 and the long run to 18. When that mile improves to 6:20 increase the daily mileage to 10, and the long run to 20.

Overall prefer going slower when in doubt. For you right now the pace as slow as 10:00 would still provide core aerobic and even some fuel stimulus. Follow the above suggestions as mere guidelines and listen to your body. Your body knows how you should train from day to day, and will tell you if you ask it properly and then politely listen for the answer.

Hopefully the above adjustments will allow you to train without interruptions or overload until this fall, and then you'll rock in your BQ attempt.
Scott
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 04:23:21 pm »

That is great input!  Thank you very, very much.  I really appreciate it!  Scott
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: