Fast Running Blog
June 25, 2024, 12:20:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Letting cars know they need look out for runners!  (Read 16588 times)
Logan Fielding
Lurker

« on: December 05, 2007, 05:59:34 pm »

I was on my run tonight and nearly got hit twice by two different cars.  I had the right of way both times but they were either looking down or being plain rude and not wanting to wait for me.  One car honked at me and it really ticked me off.  I almost let them know that they were "number 1" in my book but I decided to be the better person and not do it.  I have seen some people slap the side of cars to let the car know their are runners nearby.  What do you do and is their any proper etiquette to doing this?
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 06:10:24 pm »

Ignore them. They will not learn. And next time it will be a different car anyway.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 06:12:42 pm »

If a car is waiting to turn, I will almost always run behind it, unless I make direct eye contact with the driver and get a "wave" of acknowledgment. "Defensive running" and avoiding potential incidents completely is usually the way to go. Part of that is assuming that every driver is completely incompetent, and not only that, but no one is paying attention but you. These assumptions are not always true, but still good assumptions to make for safety sake.

I've slapped a few cars in my day, but it tends not to lead to anything constructive. Doing something aggressive like that only leads to further frustration and anger for all parties involves. Best to get forget, forgive, and move on...cautiously.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 06:15:04 pm by Paul Petersen » Logged
Scott Zincone
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 06:27:05 pm »

Same for me..."Defensive Running".  At every intersection I treat them like the enemy.  And I too must admit to a few fender slaps just to let them know how close it really was. 

adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 06:49:52 pm »

At least here in Provo, everytime I use a cross walk I'm looking in ALL directions before I try to cross. I live right off an intersection and nearly get hit almost EVERYTIME I go out for a run. I've ignored their honking rants, did the fender slap a few times, given the eye, and on very close calls I usually say a little something or point to street signs- usually pointing out what they did wrong. I used to point it out a bit differently when I was younger, but like Paul said, a better person wouldn't and shouldn't do that.

The worst by far out here in college town is girls who are driving for the first time, and even worse, the girls who text while they drive. And then the guys who drive their super-hondas or bikes. I've learned to just accept that most people aren't watching for runners out here. When I do get a driver who stops for me, or is polite, I usually give them a wave, thumbs up, and say thanks.
James Winzenz

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 08:15:36 pm »

I have had my share of frustrations as well with cars that totally ignored me.  I have to agree with the others, no matter what, every time I get angry and point, shout or do anything else, it doesn't help at all.  I also end up practicing "defensive running".  It kind of reminds me what other people who drive motorcycles have told me - always be on the lookout, always assume the other vehicle does not see you, be prepared to yield even when you have the right of way.
Adam R Wende

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 08:36:30 pm »

Have to let it go. In small town IL (Galesburg where I went to college) I've had things thrown at me. I was even once hit by a bag of fries and it cut me. I actually bled. I've had friends that have had glass bottles thrown at them as well. Two of the worst cases were in St. Louis. I had a kid in the back seat of a car yelling at me and the dad was egging the kid on. Also while there I ran with a fairly large group and a couple of the guys had tempers. Once one of the guys spit on a car that wouldn't move over. The guy must have seen it in his mirror. He slammed on his breaks pulled back and dared him to do it again saying he was going to shoot him if he did. After that incident I've learned that you can't change some people and some people you don't want to try to change. I've been relatively happy running here though. Of the three cities I've lived in, SLC is the smallest, but I've also had less comments yelled at me in 18-months than in any given one month in the other cities... Good luck and keep your cool...
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 09:11:34 pm »

I will say that although drivers in Logan are terrible, very very few are hostile. Haven't had anything thrown at me yet (I can't say the same for Indiana). Gotta love northern Utah for that.
Josse

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 10:53:01 pm »

I agree you just have to watch, people do not see runners or bikers or anything else for that matter.  Everyone is in to big of a hurry. 
I once hit the side of a car.  The man was on his phone and computer at the same time while driving and eating his breakfast.  He nearly ran into me and a friend.  He was so mad, he got out of his care and wanted my info, after I wouldn't give it to him and told him he almost hit us he got even more mad and wanted to fight me.  Never the less I will never do that again.  People.
Jeff Frodsham
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 10:59:04 pm »

One time this past XC season a car pulled out into the group and almost took out some of our team. The lady driving the car got mad and got out of her car to yell. Being a bunch of high school kids everyone let her know how we felt. Happens all of the time but you have to do your best to watch out and be safe.
Cory Birt
Lurker

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 08:01:55 am »

The already mentioned suggestions are excellent.  I have to agree with an already mentioned tactic ... eye contact.  I think this is the key to running defensively.  When coming to intersections, I always try to gain eye contact with drivers.  I've found that by doing this ... oftentimes it will become clear whether the driver is going to yield to you or if he/she is operating under the "I'm bigger than you; out of my way" concept.  Once I get eye contact and think the driver is yielding to me, I'll ususally raise my hand.  I intend this to be a half-wave - thanking them for yielding; half-stop sign - signalling them to stop because I'm passing in front.  If they don't acknowledge or give a positive vibe, I just go behind or ... the dreaded wait if necessary.

When running in a group, we usually have someone go ahead at the bigger intersections.  The purpose is to run reconnaissance for the group and call out any hazards and from which direction.  Also when running in a group, the leader calls out "car up" and the trailer calls out "car back" whenever there's imminent traffic.  This gives the group a raised general awareness.

The challenge for me is when running alone and I come to a busy and/or complicated intersection.  I usually say to myself, "Oh great, I can get hit from 5 different directions!"  This effectively raises my antennae to the possibility of increased danger.  I use the same analogy with my 15-year old son who just started driving.  (He doesn't seem to fully appreciate my analogies though ....)
Lybi
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 09:09:13 am »

I can't believe so many of you have slapped cars!  You renegades...
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 09:45:25 am »

Defensive running is a must, obviously.  I run behind the first cars at stop signs, etc.  But when someone does stop specificially for me, I always give them a big "thank you" wave.

I don't slap cars often.  I did once when a pickup with a trailer made a right hand turn right in front of me and a guy on a bike- the trailer ran us off the road.  I was pretty ticked, actually chasing the truck, banging on the trailer.  I wasn't worried about myself, but the bike guy could easily have been tipped and run over by the trailer wheels.
jtshad

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 09:52:57 am »

I agree, defensive running is required as I too have nearly been hit by inattentive drivers several times in the recent past.  Just this morning I came upon two intersections with cars coming to a stop and I did the run behind technique just to be sure.   I agree with Jon on acknoweldging the driver with a wave when they do see you. 

Also, running facing traffic is a must...never trust the cars will see you.
Adam R Wende

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 09:56:09 am »

That last point is key!!! Bike with traffic, run against traffic. I never trust cars coming up from behind. I've also noticed you get less comments yelled at you when you are facing the driver than when they come from behind. The nice thing about running is that we are never going to fast that we can't jump over the curb if the care isn't moving over.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: