Fast Running Blog
June 04, 2024, 06:03:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tips on how to deal with winter conditions for runners  (Read 5164 times)
bencrozier
Vocal Lurker

« on: December 21, 2009, 03:15:01 pm »

I thought I should do a write-up to share some tips for runners who may be struggling with winter running.  Others may have some thoughts or suggestions that would help as well, but I have a few insights that I have learned over the years that I think would be very beneficial to some people.

First of all, let it be known that I really hate winter and really prefer warm climates, but due to certain life circumstances I've decided to spend this winter in Utah which means that I've had to really embrace winter running this year.

1. Clothing: Spend the money to have the proper winter running clothing!!! It makes all the difference in the world!! This makes the difference between a pleasant running experience and horrible suffering!  Don't cut corners on this!!!  I used to be a cheapskate when it came to my running clothes and would wear any old jacket, hat, gloves, sweat pants, etc. and never knew what a difference it makes to wear modern running clothing that keeps you warm and doesn't make you sweat and then get the chills and get sick. I even used to wear socks on my hands and an any old wool hat on my head and had no concept of what advancements have been made in clothing technology and how the right sort of breath-ability in what you wear makes an enormous difference! For some great tips on what to wear and in what sort of conditions, go here:
http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whattowear/0,7152,s6-240-325-330-0-0-0-0,00.html   
By investing in the proper running attire you will increase your enjoyment of winter running IMMENSELY!!!  If you put on enough layers and dress smart you'll find that you can easily run in just about any sort of conditions.  You'll also become a lot tougher, both mentally and physically.  I have found through trial and error that for me I can wear shorts and a T-shirt in temps in the upper 40's and above.  Low 40's I add a vented hat (has a big hole on top for ventilation with a draw sting to close it if it gets colder.) I will also add gloves. I can usually wear the hat and gloves and not a jacket. Temps in the 30's I will add a breathable jacket and not wear the hat, if my hands get too warm I tuck the gloves into my shorts.  Temps in the 20's I add the hat and I add running tights under shorts.  Temps under 20's I add second jacket layer and wear a second pair of underwear.  I also usually wear sunglasses for shielding against the wind and snow.

2. Shoes: I spent two winter seasons living in Colorado and I used to run and train with Matt Carpenter who is probably the best mountain runner in the world.  He taught me a fantastic tip about running on packed ice that makes winter running far less risky and more enjoyable!  Check this out: http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm  Screw shoes will allow you to run fast on icy trails and anywhere else you want to go.

3. Avoid the treadmill: I have done a lot of treadmill running and I have found that I stay a lot healthier and happier if I run outside vs. inside on a treadmill or indoor track. Probably the biggest reason is the major changes in temperature from running really hard on the treadmill inside and then going outside to my car where it is extremely cold.  I've also learned the hard way to cool down really well before going outside after being in the gym.  When I run outdoors exclusively I have stayed a lot healthier and had far fewer colds and sicknesses.  Gyms are notorious for being great places to get sick, too, so when I go to lift weights I am very careful to always wash my hands and avoid touching my face or ears after using workout equipment.

4. Time of day: If you can, try to run during the warmest part of the day.  The difference in temperature is pretty big between 6:00 am vs. 1:00 pm. Needless to say, not all schedules allow for this, but it does help beat the winter blues to run when it is warmest.

5. Change out of running clothes and stay warm immediately after running!  It is important to shower and change immediately after a run because your core body temperature quickly drops and your susceptibility to illness is significantly greater when this happens!

I hope that these tips have helped!  Let me know if you have any other tips to add to my list.

--Ben

« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 03:18:37 pm by bencrozier » Logged
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 03:21:44 pm »

Under-armor changed my life. And winter running also got infinitely better when I decided to wear ski gloves.
bencrozier
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 03:36:59 pm »

I need to try out Under Armour.  That's a great suggestion... never tried it before! Thanks.
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 01:04:30 pm »

Back in the day Sasha would face almost any temperature with shorts and a singlet. I only once saw him turn arounbg because of the cold. That's mental toughness. I still would not suggest this tactic for mere mortals.
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 01:19:31 pm »

I too found winter running a lot better in the cold when I switch to mittens, and now even heavier weight mittens. 

Agree that a good base layer is important as is the right head protection (fleece earband or skull cap have been awesome). 

One other thing to mention is to be even more careful on being observant during your runs for traffic as the roads are more congested due to the snow and to be more careful about visibility (reflective clothing) if you are going to run on the roads.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 04:45:45 pm »

UnderArmour is the best.  I wear a UnderArmour Hood/ski cap which covers your whole face, and a regular long sleeve dri tri tech shirt with a lightweight wind resistant North Face Jacket, and heavy mittens and UnderArmour tights.  This is with conditions below 20 degrees or even below zero, and I don't get cold.  The only thing that might is my hands, and that's due to poor circulation.   I've ran in -7 last year in this outfit and never got cold.  I also have a Cold Gear Long Sleeve UnderArmour shirt which is excellent.  I don't wear it too much because I get hot fast even in 0 degree weather. 

I've had the practice running in below zero weather and blizzard conditions and this type of outfit hasn't failed.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 04:49:55 pm »

Oh ya there is no need to run inside on a deadmill.  I tend to get injured when I run on one too long.  My stride and form is just too different on one.
Superfly

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 05:01:09 pm »

Sell your homes, cut your loses and move to a warmer climate!  Grin
Actually all jokes aside I love under armor too. If you watch Ross or TJ Maxx you can find great deals on that kind of stuff for winter running. The heavier ski gloves thing is a must on a cold morning when "running" gloves just won't do it.

This reminds me of a funny story of one run back a few years ago. I met Sasha on the Provo trail up in the canyon at around 6 a.m (still dark) in December or January. The temp was around 0 F with wind chill at around -15. I asked him the night before if I needed something more than ear warmers. He said that should do. So the next morning we show up to a snowy, ice covered trail and he is wearing a bank robbers hat (the ones with only eyes and mouth holes). Plus like 12 layers. Needles to say I was cold and in the end actually had frozen ice hanging from my ears. I think we did like a 15 miles tempo that morning.
Maurine Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 01:35:49 pm »

I made the investment in the La Sportiva hobnail kit and have loved it.  A little more expensive than screws, but for those of us without an electric screwdriver it works a lot easier.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 12:35:08 pm »

I've always just worn multiple layers of cheap clothes.

I think Dallen is exaggerating a bit about shorts in freezing temperatures. My rule at that time was: 50 F - shorts + t-shirt, 30F to 50 F - shorts + jacket,  20 F - 30 F - one layer everywhere, 0 F - 20 F - two layers, less than 0 F - three layers. If we did turn around early, it was to get warmer clothes, never just to quit and cut the run short.

I love the bank robber hat, especially seeing a look of concern for a second or two from a gas station attendant when you walk in.

For men, it is very important to protect the crotch when temperatures drop below 20 F, or when it is windy. I usually solve that problem with an extra pair of shorts over the pants.
Adam R Wende

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 01:15:10 pm »

Another vote for layers. I have a similar set of rules as Sasha as far as XoF = X layers
However, coming from Chicago you have to take into consideration wind. (I'm sure Jeff and the other ID folks can second this one).
To compensate for that I'm big on vaseline for the few exposed sights around the face and having a loser outer layer over one or two tighter lower layers.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 11:34:05 pm »

If you wear a North Face wind resistant jacket and one layer under that it will protect you in weather below zero with  the UnderArmour cold gear tights..  If you want to be real safe have the first layer be an UnderArmour Cold Gear long sleeve shirt.  I also wear ski mittens under 20 degrees, their a must.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: