Fast Running Blog
June 10, 2024, 08:50:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Treadmill harder than outside?  (Read 13856 times)
Joe
Lurker

« on: December 16, 2009, 11:44:54 am »

Pretty new runner here, and I use the treadmill during the week and run outdoors on the weekend.  Contrary to the research I've done that says the treadmill should be easier, I'm wiped out after treadmill runs of the same speed as longer outdoor runs.  The outdoor runs have even been windy and incorporate hills but so far I've felt like I could keep going and they've been relatively easy compared to the TM.  The only thing I can think of is that outside lately it's been at perfect running tempetratures for me (45-55F) while it's obviously hotter inside.  Any runners see the same kind of thing, or know why that is?

Joe
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 11:57:06 am »

Your treadmill might be calibrated wrong (meaning you're running faster than you think).

The boredom factor can take its toll mentally. You may perceive it as harder just because it's mentally taxing.

Yes, the heat can be a factor as well. I know that my heart rate is higher when I run on the treadmill at the gym, than when I run outside. The lack of cooling can elevate heart rate, cause dehydration, and accelerate fatigue.

But in general, I still find treadmill much easier than running on the roads. Most of this is due to lack of wind resistance. I can usually make up for this by setting the incline to 0.5% or 1%.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 12:55:35 pm by Paul Petersen » Logged
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 12:43:35 pm »

Treadmill running is harder and less enjoyable for me, mainly due to the lack of being outdoors (aka boredom).  Not sure all the other technical reasons, but it is definitely harder.
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 01:00:24 pm »

Treadmill running is harder for me as well.  The same pace on the treadmill as outside seems to take a lot more effort, and I definitely sweat a lot more so I'm sure indoor temps are a factor.  I've also noticed that it feels like I am running differently.
Jennifer Schmidt
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 07:09:55 pm »

I run on the treadmill 3 -4 days a week when I am working, since I don't feel safe running outside in the dark.  I find that I actually run faster at the gym than I do outside unless I am aiming for a specific goal, therefore my indoor runs can feel harder.  I keep myself occupied by watching tv, usually Sportscenter since it is 5:00am, then the news and this keeps my mind off the time for the most part. 

I have been told as well by a former running coach who was at the Olympic Trials years ago to have the incline at 1% to simulate running outside.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 11:00:54 pm »

You sweat much more and I believe that can bring a fatigue factor.  Also, boredom  will cause negative mindset and make you tired.  I fine that I'm tired on the treadmill more as well.
Joe
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 01:33:26 pm »

Thanks for the replies.  I think it probably is a combination of heat, boredom and the unnaturalness of running on it.  Glad to know I'm not the only one.  I'm going to try to get out more...
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 12:21:17 pm »

As Paul mentioned, this could be mental. I do not run on a treadmill often. The last few times were for a scientific test. I remember being scared to death to crank up the machine to 9 mph. I had to tell myself, come on, this is only 6:40, it is a jog for you. Once I was over that barrier I was able to run at faster speeds and it felt normal. But if you turned off the numeric readings and had me adjust it by feel it probably would not have gone any faster than 8 mph.
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 04:16:25 pm »

I find that the monotony of not getting anywhere, the lack of air movement and the concentration required to keep yourself centered on the tread tires me out mentally and thus leads to a more difficult time finding the run enjoyable.  If it isn't fun in some sense, it will seem harder.  That said, the TM is a good way to train for light feet and a fast turnover during the winter months...if you can keep up with the tread, you can run as fast as you like!
Superfly

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 05:14:31 pm »

I'll actually echo Jeff. If you can handle it the TM is great for helping the feet to roll smooth and for helping keep hips and everything else square. I just can't seem to do it much. It seems no matter how bad the weather is outside I still choose to go there instead of getting on the TM. Like Sasha said if the numbers were not there and I just ran by feel I'd only do like 8:20 pace.
Adam R Wende

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 07:17:53 am »

I have to say the TM is easier. I agree with the reasons against treadmill running listed above. However, the few times a month (if even that) that I run on the treadmill I tend to go faster and it feels easier. I'll put a movie on the TV, put on the head phones for the sound and put it to a speed. Part of why I think it is easier is that you don't have to focus on pace. They always say that leading in a race is harder because of the pacing factor. The treadmill takes this away. I was not able to do 2 mi repeats at 11 min until I first did it on the treadmill. Same with 5 min miles. For me the barrier on the track was much more intimidating than the fear of falling off the treadmill. That being said, the easiest running of all is outside down a canyon  Grin
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 09:00:59 pm »

I'd have to say "speedwork" is easier on a TM for me, echoing the comment before mine (Adam's).  However, anything over 5-6 miles is almost torchure!
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 05:13:07 pm »

I run on the treadmill almost every day in the winter and sometimes the rest of the year. I guess I don't have as much of a desire to be outside as others, especially when it's winter. I've found that my pace for tempo runs is faster on the treadmill than outside.

I try to do a weekly hill run on the treadmill. I set it to a pretty fast pace and then have it vary the hills. I'm sure some of it is mental, but I don't think I would get as good a workout if I tried to run the same workout outside because it forces me to keep a good pace and doesn't require me to stop for traffic.

We have a small gym in our townhome complex, so that makes the treadmills much more accessible. Not sure if I would go to a regular gym.

As far as boredom...it doesn't happen to me when I can control the TV. There are just those rare occasions when the guy next to me wants to watch reruns of shows about UFO sightings. Roll Eyes
baldnspicy
Lurker

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 08:03:42 am »

For me the TM isn't that bad.  I don't enjoy it anywhere close to running outside, but if it's running outside in 15 degree weather with ice and snow, I'll usually choose the TM.  Around here, there's a "law" to shovel the sidewalks in front of your house, but it's not enforced.  Typically, I'll run in the street facing traffic since it's plowed and salted.  Less chance of slipping, better chance of getting hit  Tongue.  You don't get that element of danger on a TM!

The benefit of the TM for me is that I can set it at a certain pace and go a certain distance at that pace - training my mind and body to running that consistent pace.  When I run outside on the roads, unless I know where my mile splits are, I have a hard time knowing how fast I really am running and am not sure if I'm keeping to a certain pace for that run or not.  On the track (which they don't plow when it snows  Angry ) I've totally experienced the pacing factor, where it's tougher to keep a faster pace.  But, on the track, I can take my lap splits, or even 200m splits, to know how I'm doing and either maintain or kick it up a little if needed.

At work, we have an excellent gym with 10-12 really nice TMs (along with all the other goodies), so it's convenient for me if the weather is bad.  Sometimes it's either TM, running at 11pm, or no run that day.  Since the TMs are all the same, it's nice to be able to hop on one, pick the 5k or 10k preprogrammed race and try to beat my PB for that program.  Sure, it's boring, but that's what iPods are for.  We have TVs, but they're always tuned in to something gay, so I don't watch them.  If I'm not doing a program, I find it annoying to try and adjust the incline to simulate hills.  I'll either warm up at 1% incline then run a while at a certain higher incline (2-5%), then decrease to the 1-2% for the cool down.  If I'm just running for the miles, I will set it at 1.5% usually to try and simulate outside and the fact that the belt is doing some of the work for me (my impression).
Neil Price
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 10:00:19 am »

I agree that it is largely a mental barrier.  For example, I have never run faster than 7.7 mph on a TM, and only for a half mile or mile at most, even though I have run faster, nearly 8.2 mph, for an entire 10k.  Why?  I am absolutely terrified to run on a TM at that speed.   
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: