Fast Running Blog
March 28, 2024, 01:30:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Emergen-C  (Read 50306 times)
Tony
Lurker

« on: October 18, 2009, 10:25:14 pm »

was googling  "emergen-c and running" a while back, and one of the top answers was someone on a yahoo answers forum saying that it doesn't contain any electrolytes, and just a bunch of uneccessary vitamins, and to drink gatorade during your runs.

This person couldn't be more wrong. Emergen-c is a solid electrolyte drink. In fact i was looking at Endurolyte capsules by Hammer nutrition a little while ago. They contain  magnesium, magnese, calcium, sodium, potassium and vitamin B6. Emergen-C packets contain all of these and in higher amounts, plus it has other minerals, and more b vitamins and vitamin C to keep your immune system up. There is a tiny, tiny amount of sugar in it, almost negligible. Depending on the type you get as well it contains other stuff. I get the joint formula that contains glucosamine and something else, i just get it cause its the tangerine flavor an I like it best. They have an acai berry flavor, which contains acai berry powder. some people swear by this as an energy and antioxidant booster. Jury is still out on that for me. It has a weird but drinkable flavor.

Anyways, just wanted to let people know that emergen-c is a fantastic pre-run drink to keep your electrolytes well balanced for the run. I took one emergen-c before my first marathon last week and between that and heed and water, i went strong the whole way. You do have to be careful of the high vitamin C content if you don't take a lot of vitamin C normally ( which you should!!!) because it can make your stomach a upset or give you diarrhea. I've never had this problem. I also did not need to go to the bathroom once during my entire 3+ hour marathon. So i think i was pretty well balanced with electroytes. I always take one before working out or regular runs as well. I'd say it's a big part in my ability to run in 100+ degree heat for 20 or more miles.

At $9 for a box of 36 packets, it's one of the better kept secrets in sports nutrition, in my opinion.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 07:56:04 am »

I love Emergen-C. It's the only "sports drink" I take at this point. Sometimes I mix with orange juice to get some sugar. Whenever I get sick, I pound Emergen-C, and the cold never lasts for more than 2 days. Highly recommended.
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 12:25:24 pm »

I am a huge emergen-c fan.  I just discovered it recently, but have had dramatic results as far as colds go. I will start to get a runny nose, start using the emergen-c and the next day it is all but gone.  Totally awesome!  I have been drinking it after long runs too after seeing all the good stuff that was in it. 
Blaine Hawkes
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 10:07:52 am »

Emergen-C is a staple in my training and in our household. I like all the B vitamins and on those days when I am dragging a little, an Emergen-C packet is perfect. I've never had any problems with too much vitamin c. I don't like the acai berry one or the one with the extra vitamins (too gritty). I'm a fan of the Tangerine and Raspberry.
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 12:26:37 pm »

+10 for emergen-c. love the stuff.
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 04:23:57 pm »

I actually use both the Emergen-C (lite version -- it has little to no sugar and barely any calories) and the electrolyte/sports drink mix (also no sugar) regularly.  I swear the electrolyte mix saved me during my first Tucson summer.
Skeets McK
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 12:41:40 pm »

Emergen-C really is awesome.  I have found it is a great cleanser for toxins of any kind.  I will put in there though that powerade is pretty powerful.  It has electrolytes and be a great assistance if you are sick.  Granted there can be a sugar high, but that comes in handy when you need to perform.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: