Fast Running Blog
April 28, 2024, 07:57:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "squishy" achilles after running? (no pain)  (Read 7889 times)
ChromeDome Steve
Lurker

« on: July 27, 2009, 03:21:19 pm »

Hi everyone,

Yesterday after running 9.5 miles (this is my quote-unquote long run for the week) immediately post-run I soaked my legs in an icy bath. I then realized that while walking down the stairs I was experiencing a weird sensation of fluid-like squishing in the area of my achilles. Sometimes in the left ankle, sometimes in the right (seemed to vary). 

There wasn't any pain involved, so I'm wondering if this is just post-run inflammation or something? Or is this a warning that my achilles are unhappy?

Today is my rest day and I have no pain walking or going up/down stairs. I seem to just have the usual post-exercise soreness. 

Any replies appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 03:35:39 pm by ChromeDome Steve » Logged
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 05:50:43 pm »

Steve, I've been suffering from my achilles for some time now. Maybe be nothing, but just keep it at a very close watch. An easy test to "see" if there is any problem with the achilles is to "pinch" them, about an inch above the heel, as if you wanted to wrap your finger around the tendon itself; if it hurts, then something is wrong, if not, everything ok there (maybe just to much icy water). Remember to stretch the achilles before (very gently) and after running.
Hope all is well.
ChromeDome Steve
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 10:56:01 am »

Eric,

OK, I don't have any pain when I do what you describe. But, I will be sure to stretch a lot and pay close attention when I run today.

I might try the ice bath again later on and will see if the same phenomenon recurs.

Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 11:21:00 am »

Steve:

Once you feel safe to run on your achilles, I would recommend a change in your training pattern. Run 6 days a week, do not skip days. Maybe start with consistent 3 miles a day. Easy pace, easier than you would initially feel inclined to do. Then make it 4, 5, and 6. Do not do long runs until you are comfortable jogging 6 miles a day 6 days a week.

Many injuries are caused by a surprise load. Not that the load is too high in and of itself, but the body is not ready for it. E.g you run hard, skip a day, the body is still not recovered, but the neural drive is strong, the horses are neighing. So you run hard again. Skip another day. The pattern repeats and you end up with an injury. Now consider this. You run easy. Next day the body is not beat up, but the horses are not neighing so loud. So you run easy again. Repeat the cycle.  Overtime the body has a chance to become injury-resistant and now you can run harder and be OK.
ChromeDome Steve
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 03:05:37 pm »

Thanks Sasha,

The "surprise load" concept is duly noted. I will avoid that.

I am trying to run every day now and avoid going out "too fast" etc. as I have been prone to do. I intend to have only one rest day per week if at all possible, and have my first priority be logging the miles, relaxing, and working on my stride/form. I am going to start logging some Vibram/barefoot miles as soon as I can work that in, both to improve form and help build foot strength & injury avoidance.

Steve

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: