Fast Running Blog
May 23, 2024, 08:39:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Poll
Question: Do you know who Kenenisa Bekele is?
Yes, are you kidding me? - 15 (68.2%)
The name sounds African, and he must be a runner, but do not ask me more. - 2 (9.1%)
Now that you've asked I looked it up. - 2 (9.1%)
I am embarrassed to admit I don't. - 2 (9.1%)
I do not know, and do not care to know. - 1 (4.5%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is Kenenisa Bekele?  (Read 10552 times)
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009, 12:31:51 pm »

Bekele is the best distance runner ever, not just today. He has the world record in 5000 and 10000. He has not yet run a marathon, but once he does, he will likely have the marathon world record as well.
James Moore
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 01:56:48 pm »

I was running competitively for 4 years before I really started to get interested. Now I am quite happy to watch the London marathon in its entirety. I suggest anyone who doesn't know much about the sport at its highest level should try to watch a webcast of the world champs this year. You might be surprised how fun they are to watch.
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 02:54:48 pm »

Great race today James, you were remarkably consistent with the pacing!
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 11:13:17 pm »

I always get excited to go run after watching others perform well. It inspires me to do better. Maybe it goes along with the old adage that to succeed we should surround ourselves (or at least observe) successful people. And there's still a twinge of irrational (though fun) hope that I could be up there with them if I tried hard enough. Smiley
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009, 11:51:21 am »

ha ha ha, I know what you mean Steve.  Unfortunately, there have been a few times when I have been "inspired" by these meets -- ouch, some of the most painful runs I have ever had (imagining myself running as fast as Shannon Rowbury did last night -- a 60.5 last lap!!!! WOW, not that I was even close to running that fast mind you, but the imagery made me forgot my own pacing).
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 08:29:22 am »

Bekele is the best distance runner ever, not just today. He has the world record in 5000 and 10000. He has not yet run a marathon, but once he does, he will likely have the marathon world record as well.

I would argue that Haile Gebrselassie is probably the best distance runner ever as he has held more world records (from the 5K to the marathon), 26 records in all.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 06:01:33 pm »

They are very close. But I think Bekele is better. It is not the number of the world records that counts, it is who sets the last one. Of course, you could argue that with such a small difference in records minor variations in conditions could be enough to make it or break it for a given world record attempt. So one could argue that Gebrselassie would not have lost to Bekele had they been able to race each other when both were in their last world record 5/10 K shape and had they exchanged quarter leads in a controlled manner once the pacers were gone. Although I would be inclined to say Bekele would have still won. He has demonstrated a better kick off any pace. Gebrselassie closed his Olympic races in around 57, while Bekele hit 53 off a slighly faster pace. During the world record attempt Bekele closed with 57, while Gebrselassie could not break 60 if I remember right. So I think had you put them together in the same race they would be together with a lap to go and the Bekele would win.

While talking about great runners we should not forget Sileshi Sihine. His 10 K PR is "only" 26:39, but I believe he would run 26:22 if he had the luxury of being invited to a meet where he is getting paid to run 26:22 with pacers. He does not because 26:22 is no world record. He consistently finishes a few seconds behind Bekele in every race, that I why I think he could run 26:22 in a world record attempt setup. But such is life. If you win, and set world records, there are still many runners, too many that do not know and do not care to know who you are. But if you do not win, even though you are very very close, even though had you reached that level before the current world record was set you'd be setting it,  now enter a different level of undeserved obscurity. I figured I'd mention his name to correct that to the extent that I can.
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009, 07:09:35 pm »

i thought this thread would be the best place to post this...

here's the schedule of this summer's track and field coverage by universalsports.com:

2009 TRACK AND FIELD COVERAGE ON UNIVERSAL SPORTS: Universal Sports television and UniversalSports.com will offer video coverage of the complete outdoor 2009 IAAF track & field season, with the Golden League and Super Grand Prix events featuring the top track & field athletes in the world. In addition, Universal Sports will have exclusive live online coverage of the 12th IAAF Track & Field World Championships, August 15-23, from Berlin. Fans can visit the track & field channel on www.UniversalSports.com/trackandfield for updated schedules (TV and online), news, video highlights, special features, photo galleries, sweepstakes and more.

Date Event Location Country
Fri, July 03 Bislett Games Oslo/Bislett Norway
Tue, July 07 Athletissima 2009 Lausanne Switzerland
Fri, July 10 Golden Gala Rome Italy
Fri, July 17 Meeting Paris Saint-DenisParis/Saint St. Denis France
Fri, July 24 IAAF Super GP Day 1 London Great Britain
Sat, July 25 IAAF Super GP Day 2 London Great Britain
Tue, July 28 IAAF Super GP Day 1 Monte Carlo Monaco
Fri, July 31 IAAF Super GP Day 1 Stockholm Sweden
Aug 15 - Aug 23 IAAF World Athletics Championships Berlin Germany
Fri, Aug 28 IAAF GL Weltklasse Zurich` Zurich Switzerland
Fri, Sep 04 IAAF GL Memorial Van Damme Brussels Belgium

and flotrack coverage:

Europe (www.flotrack.org/videos/coverage/view/235320-floeuro-trip-season-3)
 Summer Coverages (www.flotrack.org/videos/coverage)
www.flotrack.org

Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2009, 07:55:01 pm »

There will be  a few people from last weekends Championship trying to get the A standard for Berlin ... so these meets should be pretty good!

Thank you for posting this Allie!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: